Highly Kilned Base Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

komomos

Reaction score
Does roasting your base malt at high degrees effect your attenuation? (ignore enzymes)

I don't mean alpha and beta amylase enzymes. Ofcourse they will decay that high temperature. Actually I wonder high kilning temperature effect starch of base malt or not.

Does roasting your base malt at high degrees effect your attenuation? (ignore enzymes)

I don't mean alpha and beta amylase enzymes. Ofcourse they will decay that high temperature. Actually I wonder high kilning temperature effect starch of base malt or not.

Yes, roasting it will render it partially or completely unfermentable depending on how long at at what temp you roast it.

You mean temperature blast enzymes or starch? Ofcourse demolish the enzymes but starch?

For example 2 hours at 250 celsius?

You mean temperature blast enzymes or starch? Ofcourse demolish the enzymes but starch?

For example 2 hours at 250 celsius?

I hope you meant 2 hours at 250 F. 2 hours at 250 C would damn near give you ash. But even hours at 250 F would render it basically completely unfermentable if I'm not mistaken. You get caramelization and maillard reactions that somehow make the starches resistant to being broken into base sugars. I'm no chemist but it is my understanding that there is an inverse relationship between the time spent at high temperature in kilning and the fermentability of a malt, which is why the very darkest base malts are like 5 L.

Back