Lambic and Flanders Red -- 1.019 after two months

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamest22

Reaction score
I have two 1.048 OG sour beers aging in secondary at 69 degrees. Both are about two months old. One is a Flanders Red pitched with only Wyeast Roeselare and the other is a Lambic pitched with Wyeast Lambic Blend and Cantillon dregs.

After three weeks of active primary fermentation both beers were at 1.019 give or take a point. Now, after two months of aging in secondary at 69 degrees, they are both at still at about 1.019. There has been little if any change in gravity. The lambic smells and tastes like a lambic should, the Flanders red has no sourness at this point, just a lot of sherry notes.

My question is, should these beers be at a much lower gravity than this at this point? I know that these beers have a long way to go and I am planning on aging them for at least a year in secondary. I was just expecting the gravity to be much lower at this point.

That site has some great information. I see that based on that graph your gravity reading is right on target.

That graph really shows why you can't hurry a lambic.

Thanks for sharing that find!

Although the graph is useful I would like to know from where it was obtained. It appears to be scanned in as an image but no source is cited. I emailed the blog owner for more information.

Although the graph is useful I would like to know from where it was obtained. It appears to be scanned in as an image but no source is cited. I emailed the blog owner for more information.

its from wild brews, although it was taken from somewhere else in there too

to the OP, yes your gravity will drop, and drop alot! 1019 is way to early to think about doing anything, unless you can keg

Latest posts

Back