for those of you with the Williams O2 system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

android

Reaction score
got a Williams O2 system for my birthday and i'm trying to figure out how far people turn on the regulator and for how long. I seem to find a wide range of times. let me know how long/how open you do it for. thanks.

I use an inline stone that adds oxygen as the wort comes out of the chiller and goes into the fermenter. I turn the gas on about 90% when the fermenter is about half full. So about 1 - 1.5 minutes.

I just go with their instructions. I think for a normal session beer I use around 45 seconds to 1 minute of oxygen. Higher gravity beers get about a minute and a half and 12 hours later, if fermentation hasn't kicked in, I hit them for another minute, same with lagers. I turn it on to the point where there's a firm bubbling at the surface above the wand, almost like a small rolling boil in that area.

We've had great results with opening it up to where the bubbles just barely break the surface of the liquid. Otherwise you're just wasting O2. Let it go for 1 minute (2 micron stone) and call it good.

I usually open my container while it is in the star-san so i can see how much oxygen is coming out and then transfer it over to the carboy. On my regulator you have to turn the knob a lot to get it started. I usually run all my beers for 90 seconds. I have had great success with this and get a lot of brews out of a tank.

chromados

cool, thanks for the responses. i'll probably start around 45-60 seconds with some light bubbling at the surface.

We've had great results with opening it up to where the bubbles just barely break the surface of the liquid. Otherwise you're just wasting O2. Let it go for 1 minute (2 micron stone) and call it good.

This! Gas exchange into liquid occurs slowly, so the most ideal method is tiny bubbles, moving slowly.

I actually run mine barely opened..enough that i can see bubbles if the wand is at the top of the wort. then I submerge it and just gently stir the wort with the wand for a minute or so.

No bubbles really hit the surface, which means the O2 is gettign into solution...the ultimate goal here.

Be sure to always unscrew the regulator from the bottle, since they tend to leak otherwise (the bottles are so cheap the tolerance for the valve pin is wide and it might be depressed with the regulator closed but screwed on all the way.

i have used this twice now and although i haven't tasted the resulting beer yet, i have had great fermentations with it and you just gotta love the time it takes to aerate the beer.

Back