New to forum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rawvegangirl

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to this forum. I've been drinking Kombucha for a while now. My method is black tea brewed 1 cup of sugar, allow it to cool and add it to the scooby and mother tea. Since I live in Miami, the temps here are warmer so I brew for about 5-7 days. I love it! Drink it daily, but Im stopping by here to learn some new recipes!
Thanks everyone!

Have you tried anything like letting it ferment to more vinegar-y strengths and then cutting it with fruit juice? It tastes super great! Orange juice was a huge hit with my friends and guests. I wanna try something like pineapple juice in the future!

I use around 1/2 to 3/4 cups of sugar for 14 cups of tea (14 cups + 2 cups of starter equals a gallon). I've been using different types of white tea, makes it's own type of tasty. Suppose to be really good for you too, high in antioxidants. I'm in California bay area winter time, so I use a heating pad and brew for about 7 to 8 days, or until I think it's at it's peak (I start sampling it at 7 days). When it's ready I bottle the batch for a second sage fermentation. Lately I've been adding to every bottle a 1/4 teaspoon of grated ginger that I keep frozen. Grating frozen ginger makes a really nice shaved gingery paste. I'll sometimes add drops of honey as well. Both the ginger and the honey help make a pleasantly fizzy drink after 2 to 3 days of bottling. Too much and you'll mess yourself and your kitchen. I've also used strawberries, and pineapple for very delicious results. I plan to use elderberry in my next batch, maybe with blueberries!

I agree with Halfdrunkhero, I like making my brew slightly more on the vinegary side and then adding the "icing" so to speak.

Rawvegangirl, it's nice to know there are Kombucha brewing vegans outside of this hippie town I live in. Happy brewing.

Well, given that her profile indicates she is/was 101 years old, and she joined on 6/4/10 and last activity (was probably this thread) on 6/5/10, it's entirely possible that looking for a reply is futile... just sayin'.

Well, given that her profile indicates she is/was 101 years old, and she joined on 6/4/10 and last activity (was probably this thread) on 6/5/10, it's entirely possible that looking for a reply is futile... just sayin'.

dang those 101 year old people. they're so tricky.

LMAO! Unless she really is centenarian in which case I'm definitely going to hell. What is Kombucha, anyway?

kombucha is fermented tea but it is fermented with a SCOBY or symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast makes an odd drink that is supposed to be very good for you and tastes pretty good.... sometimes. you have to find a mother then you can grow it and add to your tea sugar mixture and sometimes fruits and other adjuncts

Back