Bottle Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fish

Reaction score
I am working on a new recipe and I was reading in the Clone book about taking some of the yeast from a bottle or Orval and using that as a starter for my yeast. Does this work well? Is it worth it?

thanks

Depends. Some of the breweries will recondition with a different yeast than used for primary fermentation. In your case I think Orval would work, you just have to make sure to follow good sanitation procedures. Remember to clean the outside of the bottle neck with alcohol, etc. That all being said, you can often find the proper strain in liquid form...not sure what Orval uses and if Whitelabs or Wyeast has it.

Yes it can work. Whether or not it is worth it depends on the source. Some brewers use a finishing yeast that isn't the same as the fermentation yeast.

I believe the WLP510 is the correct strain. Can anyone confirm? Oh one thing though, is they use the Brett in the secondary ferment I believe.

Hmmm ok I mainly wanted to do this because the book said so and I thought it was kind of cool but if its a different strain it might not be worth it.

Is a Brett strain all that different? Or I guess I should ask what is a Brett strain? I see more beer sells them but I don't know much more than that.

zoebisch01 said:
I believe the WLP510 is the correct strain. Can anyone confirm? Oh one thing though, is they use the Brett in the secondary ferment I believe.

Yes, WLP510 is the Orval strain. Bastogne Belgian Ale.

Back