Holiday Spice Brew Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fococlimber

Reaction score
Today my girlfriend and I brewed a Holiday Spice Lager? I'm not too sure about the lager thing, says to have it stored at 51deg. So im assuming lager. anyways check it!
DSCN2351.jpg

Nothin' Like a Brat.
DSCN2353.jpg

GF Peelin' Oranges
DSCN2354.jpg

Extract.. I know I know... All Grain... Apt.
DSCN2357.jpg

MMMMMMM Wort
DSCN2358.jpg

GF Hoppin' it up!
DSCN2362.jpg

GF Helpin' me filter!
DSCN2375.jpg

Finishing up!
DSCN2376.jpg

Dante trying to sneak some vodka!
DSCN2364.jpg

GF Fillin' the tub for fermentation!
DSCN2382.jpg

Anyways this was our brew day! Hope You all enjoyed!

That yeast is a london ale yeast strain recommended to be fermented around room temperature. Storage temperature is what you keep it at prior to use. You should also probably have made a starter for that yeast to build up the cell count but hopefully you'll be fine, has it started bubbling yet?

Your girlfriends hot.

Another brewer that has outkicked his coverage ;)

Nice looking brew, and it must be nice to drink out of the New Belgium goblet and have to "settle" for New Belgium beers if you are out of homebrew!

:mug:

So room temp for fermenting eh? Sounds good to me! It's sitting around 64deg and no bubbling yet! heres the recipe! And we did NOT use the dry malt as you can clearly see in the pictures.

Type: Extract
Date: 10/21/2001

Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: Brian Smith
Boil Size: 3.98 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 45 min Equipment: Brew Pot (5 Gallon)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 50.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: -
Taste Notes: Always a winner...

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.00 lb Amber Dry Extract (12.5 SRM) Dry Extract 42.9 %
3.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 42.9 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 14.3 %
2.00 oz Pearle [5.10%] (45 min) Hops 27.6 IBU
0.25 tsp Allspice (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
0.25 tsp Cloves (Ground) (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
0.25 tsp Ginger (Powdered) (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
0.25 lb Honey (Boil 45.0 min) Misc
3.00 tbsp Cinnamon (Powdered) (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
4.00 items Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
4.00 tsp Vanilla (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
2 Pkgs Dry Ale (Windsor) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.053 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.0 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.2 %
Bitterness: 27.6 IBU Calories: 205 cal/pint
Est Color: 12.2 SRM Color:
Color

Mash Profile
Mash Name: None Total Grain Weight: 10.00 lb
Sparge Water: - Grain Temperature: -
Sparge Temperature: - TunTemperature: -
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: -

Mash Notes: -

Carbonation and Storage
Carbonation Type: Corn Sugar Volumes of CO2: 2.4
Pressure/Weight: 3.8 oz Carbonation Used: 3/4 cup
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 60.0 F Age for: 28.0 days
Storage Temperature: 52.0 F

she's bubbling! I think it was just too cold at first. the yeast min temp was 64 and it was at 64, its now aroun 68 and starting to foam, and bubbling quite a bit!

Nice work!!! I mean Nice "Helper"... WOW! You Done Good! Heck the fact that she helped out and had a Big Smile on her face while doing it.... SHE is a Keeper!!!:rockin:

I see you are aging 28 days per recipie... You going to Keg or Bottle?

Love the Glass by the way... I've got to get me a set before my Belgian get's to tap ready.... :cross::D:mug:

I going to bottle, its going to be our christmas gift to our family members! everyone loves beer! and its even better because we made it!

the New Belgium Glasses are awesome! I think right now if you buy a 12 pack you get a coupon for a buy 1 get 1 free!

Another brewer that has outkicked his coverage ;)

Nice looking brew, and it must be nice to drink out of the New Belgium goblet and have to "settle" for New Belgium beers if you are out of homebrew!

:mug:

That's the first thing that popped into my head too!

I went to CSU and lived in Fort Fun for 7 years. I live in Austin now. Austin is a pretty cool city, but I definitely got homesick during my last trip back to Fort Collins. We went to a football game, saw some fall colors (we don't get that here), and drank lots of coopersmith's beer. In retrospect, that was probably a life-changing trip. After we got home, we decided that we are moving back to Fort Collins. Due to school and other commitments here, it won't be until 2012, but it will happen and damnit I am so excited!

Just thought I'd share. I saw your username and couldn't resist.

BTW, I always like the brewday photothreads. It is fun to see other people's setup and process. So thanks for taking the time to take pictures and post them.

Eric

i went to CSU also, hopin to end up back there someday... great town. i've got 6 or so of those glasses (some old style, some new style) in my glass cabinet... love em. good looking brew day, ought to be an interesting beer to say the least.

I brewed the Northern Brewerr version of this (AG) Friday but the strong mulling spices scared me a bit..I added .25 oz 60 minuted but decided not to add the remaining .75 ounce at all..just wanted a hint of spice, not overwhelming so I was conservative.

Scottish ale yeast..started bubbling after 24 hours.(yes I did a 1500ml starter) but it stopped already. From what I remember the last Wi Heavy I did it took about 3 weeks or more for it to completely ferment.

Glad to hear yours came out nicely...were the spices pronounced or subtle?

the orange and cinnamon were more prominent than any of the others. But you could tell there were other spices in the mix. looking back i would of cut all the spices in half and it would have been just as good!

I know this thread is 2 years old, but since someone else revived it, I feel I can post on it too.

Just wanted to say, wicked cute GF. Nice work man.

Back