Can improper pours cause the beer to taste different?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spine

Reaction score
Hello everyone..

I think I have an interesting story to share. I have a keg system in a fridge that is precisely temperature regulated and since the beginning I have been using 5' lines of 3/16" beer line. Almost always there would be way too much foam at my dispensing pressure (11psi) and I would have to wait a couple times per pint for the foam to dissapate and refill.

Well today I changed the lines to 10' and now the pouring is fantastic BUT the interesting thing is that my euro lager (essentially a premium american lager, but with german pils malt and about 20ibu of saaz) is now tasting fantastic! I don't understand what the change in taste could have come from as I was drinking the same beer yesterday and it had a dramatically different taste. The temperature was the same, the glass was washed the same. The only difference was 1 day more of aging and an extra 5' of beer line. To me the this has dramatically enhanced the hops flavour and aroma compared to before and has made an entirely new beer.

Is this possible or am I just dreaming something?

Well I never knew that this would cause me to fall in love with my beer again :)

The only problem is that I only have a 1/4 of a keg left and I am wishing I had another batch of this ready to go! :)

No, the excessive foaming was probably driving out much of the aroma. Plus, having to let the beer sit before drinking doesn't help that style.

Back