Quick Question - (force carbonation)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Connor85

Reaction score
I am kegging my first beer right now, but I have 1 question.

I am set up right now to 'set and forget' for 2 weeks. I have 4.5 gallons in the keg. It is sitting in the garage at a consistent 52F. Beersmith says to set the regulator to 18.5 psi, which I have done.

I understand that the beer will equilibrate to the pressure in the keg. If I set it to such a high psi to compensate for temp, will it end up absorbing all the co2 (18psi) over time, thereby over-carbing, or is my setup correct. Will I need to back off the pressure at some point? Beersmith says 18.5 psi for 2.5 volumes or carbonation.

Thanks!

Well, I am only planning to carbonate at that temp. I havent gotten a dedicated fridge yet, so the garage will have to do for now. I will probably chill the keg outside (30-40F) before serving. I am also going to be bottling a large portion of this batch too, from a CP filler.

When you go to tap, don't forget to bleed the CO2 and set it serving PSI; +1 on 10ft lines.

If you remove the gas connection before you chill the keg down, the pressure will automatically drop down to the new equilibrium for that temp. When you go to hook the gas back up to keep up it topped off, it does need to be set down to that new pressure.

As you mentioned 18.5psi into beer at 52F will get you 2.5 volumes over time.

If you disconnect the gas and chill the beer down to say 41F, the equilibrium pressure in the keg will reset to 12.5 psi. That's the pressure you'd want to dial your regulator down to in order to maintain carbonation as you pour over the long term.

img134.jpg

Thank you Bobby M. That answers my question perfectly.

Thanks for the help!!!

Back