Sourdough starter question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivan Lendl

Reaction score
Anyone know anything about using a sourdough culture? Ive got one ive had in my fridge for 2 years and was wondering if its still usable. I got it from a small bakery in France that has been using the same 'mother' since the 1800's, and hate to see it thrown out. Its still in its original package, sealed, unopened. I know once 'awoken' youve got to feed them every few days, but what of dormant cultures?

Bjorn Borg said:
Anyone know anything about using a sourdough culture? Ive got one ive had in my fridge for 2 years and was wondering if its still usable. I got it from a small bakery in France that has been using the same 'mother' since the 1800's, and hate to see it thrown out. Its still in its original package, sealed, unopened. I know once 'awoken' youve got to feed them every few days, but what of dormant cultures?

Been baking bread for a very long time. If it was in the freezer I would have no problem saying it is probably fine. Like frozen beer yeast it would lay dormaint for a very long time in the freezer. Being that its in a package is throwing me off a tad. I've never bought it actually, but have grown it myself. You are correct in that an awaken culture needs to be feed... usually once in about a week. Well.... open it and follow the directions. The worst that will happen (which will probably happen by the way) is nothing. It more then likely died a long time ago. In that case, dont buy another one. I can give you directions to make one yourself :)

Hey, if you have any good pointers for bread making I'd like to know (maybe in another thread). Fresh bread is one of my favorite things (right behind beer and bacon). I've tried to make it off and on over the last couple years, and it always turns out way too dense. Not sure what I'm doing wrong

dense might be from not letting the bread proof enough. Heres my italian (or french depending on the shape) bread recipe. The key to good bread is to use a starter, not just yeast. Once you make the starter, just keep some in your fridge and feed it with equal parts water and flour 2 times a week. it will last literally forever.

starter:
2.5 c potato water (boil a few potatoes and use this water)
1 pkg yeast
1 tsp. sugar
1 3/4 c flour
let sit covered for 8-12 hours untill foamy

bread:
2 c flour
1 1/2 - 2 c starter (enough for a wet but not too wet consistancy, it should be somewhat sticky)
3/4 tsp salt

1. mix, knead, shape into ball, lightly coat with olive oil
2. let rise in bowl 3x bigger then ball covered with towel untill doubled (1-2 hrs) You want a warm spot like the oven turned off but with the light on
3. turn out, gently knead out large bubbles
4. shape into tight ball, place on cornmeal covered baking pan, let rise untill doubled (1hour or so)
5. score top, place in 400F preheated oven with empty cast iron pan in bottom of oven
6. pour 2 c boiling water into pan, quickly close oven
7. bake for 1 hour, or untill when bottom is thumped it sounds hollow.

the pan in the oven creates steam, which will give the bread a nice thick crust. (real bakeries have steam injected ovens for this)
another good idea is to get and use a baking stone, this makes for even baking.
once you do it a few times, its soo easy. the PITA part is geting the starter going.
Now for REALLY good bread you must use a sourdough starter, for this instead of yeast, you let the starter sit out in the open air untill its foamy. Its like a lambic, wild yeast and bacteria do all the work, and leave a nice tart flavor you will never get with bread yeast. Its how all bread used to be made, and still is made in good bread towns like France, Italy and san Francisco

I made some fairly dense breads before learning about making a sponge, which is exactly what BB has described. It's like pitching an ale on the cake.

If your starter doesn't have instructions, put a pint of water and 1/2 cup of flour in a quart jar along with the starter. Keep it warm.

Every week, either make bread or feed the starter. Feeding the starter, shake the jar up and pour off half the contents. Add 4 oz of water and two oz. of flour.

Making bread: Shake the jar, pour it into a large bowl, add a pint of water and 1/2 cup of flour. Wait 8 hours. Stir and pour half the contents back into the jar. Add another cup of flour to what is left in the bowl. Wait 8-12 hours. To make a traditional sourdough, you only add a little salt and more flour, but there are thousands of recipes out there.

Well, I finally made good bread last night, using Bjorn's recipe. Ok, I take it back...it was GREAT bread. Nothing like fresh from the oven.

Now, I'm attempting to make a sourdough starter. It's about 24 hrs old and I'm seeing some bubbles. It doesn't have much of a taste yet, but we'll see how it turns out.

Back