Gluten Free Belgian Strong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manoaction

Reaction score
Friends, Americans, Obsessive Homebrewers lend me your ears...

I am posting to give you a truly fantastic GF beer.

I am not celiac, gluten intolerant, vegetarian, paleo diet or whatever. I'm a child of the 20th century that loves beer and beef. I grew up on a cattle ranch, I'm a homebrewer for my hobby, and I'm a gun lobbyist by trade.

My mother in law, however, is gluten free and my wife has a touch of the hippie to her. I don't hold this against them whatsoever.

To that end, I've brewed a gluten free beer that I find delectable, and they enjoy as well.

My fundamental concept was that sorghum doesn't taste that great. So a malt dominated style was out of the question. Hop bombs already were everywhere, so I came to the conclusion that a yeast and spice dominated flavor was the only road for a red-blooded American to take.

With that in mind, I give you this beer.

GFBelgian.jpg

The flavor is of ginger, yeast and, after a month, a lot of banana. The head looks great in the beginning, but it fades pretty quick.

Gentle readers, I want you to know that I love this beer as I love few beers. It's tangy, yeasty, and tasty in ways that I wasn't expecting. After gelatin and a month in conditioning, it's as clear as a bell, and the flavor keeps mutating and evolving along into something better each day.

Here's my recipe.

Code:
  4lb Tapioca Syrup
  2lb Sorgum Syrup
  1/2lb Beet Sugar (Cane will work too, but if you're in the West, beet is generally more common)
  1/2lb Candi Sugar

1 oz Styrian Goldings (60 minutes) 15.6 IBU  
  2 oz Saaz (15 Minutes) 12.9 IBU

Wyeast Belgian Saison Yeast (Critical to Flavor)

10 minutes to flameout add

8g Coriander, 3g Fresh Ginger, and 2.5g Grains of Paradise

Cool to 70, pitch yeast, then warm to high 80s.  I went all the way to 90 with this in August.

As I said, the flavor changes over time, but at a month it is a clean yeasty flavor with banana, coriander, and ginger. If you like Belgians, this beer is great.

I have the ingredients ready to be picked up tonight. My sister-in-law has celiac and I'm brewing this so she can enjoy beer throughout the holidays without headaches that gluten gives her. I'll post a follow up once its done.

Awesome, I'd like hear how it comes out for you.

After doing this a few more times, my biggest reminder is to let it condition warm for as close to a month as you can.

If you stop the conditioning earlier it's spicy and gingery rather than mellow banana.

Any thoughts if a different yeast would work? Say White labs 500 that ferments better during the winter?

I would strongly suggest using a space heater in the bathroom during winter. The high temp gives you the profile you're looking for.

Even so, another yeast would work fine as long as it is a dominating profile. WLP500 sounds like it would be darn tasty, but I'd like 545 a little better for a cooler yeast.

Hi, folks -

I'm kicking this old thread as I am very interested in brewing this one for my gluten-sensitive mother, but I'm struggling to find the best place to get Tapioca Syrup. My LHBS doesn't seem to have it and it seems to be available online here and there, but I'm not sure what supplier is best.

Any suggestions on where I should source it? Also, is there a specific Candi Sugar I should use (I assume clear, but wanted to confirm).

Thanks for the recipe. I am very much looking forward to surprising my mother with a beer she can drink!

Hmm... I've always grabbed the tapioca from my local shop, so I'm no help there. As for the candi sugar, I've been using the lightest stuff possible.

manoaction said:
Hmm... I've always grabbed the tapioca from my local shop, so I'm no help there. As for the candi sugar, I've been using the lightest stuff possible.

Thanks for the response. I'll keep looking around and try to get this in the brew rotation during the summer when I can get temps up to the right range. I'll post some pictures and results when I do!

Apparently tapioca syrup is that hard to find.... 3 brew stores and 4 health food/specialty stores and none had or heard of it.

Finally made this, darker than I expected and a wee bit hoppy. Very nice and definayly enjoyable. My celiac relatives thank you.

Anyone have issues with the yeast? Liquid yeasts are not usually GF due to the regular beer wort in the starter. I have to use dry yeast like safbrew T-58 for this style.

I emailed White Labs to see if they have a gluten free yeast and this was there reply:

According to a recent FDA ruling, anything under 20 ppm can be considered gluten free. Our yeast analysis: Yeast slurry in package~12 ppm. When our yeast is used with ingredients such as sorghum to make gluten free beer~2 ppm. Therefore, beer made with our yeast will fall under that amount and CAN be considered gluten free.

**The European standard for gluten free is below 100 ppm.

Pam Marshall

Sales/Customer Service

White Labs, Inc.

888-593-2785

858-536-4587 (Direct)

www.whitelabs.com

Taken from: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f164/how-make-any-yeast-gluten-free-170919/

I just bottled a batch of this yesterday, will comment on it in a couple weeks.

Back