Keg to Keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onescalerguy

Reaction score
What would be the easiest way to cut the top off of a 1/2bbl keg to make a brewpot out of it?Jigsaw..Sawzall...Cutting torch...?Any ideas out there?Thanks.
Cheers:mug:

The first one I made I did with a grinder, I sort of cut a hexegon out on the top, it was a little messy, but it worked. The second one I did on a CNC table, it was by far the easiest thing I have done. I put the keg on and let the plasma cutter do all the work, the circle is absolutely perfect and fits one of my 11" pot lids perfectly. Of course buying a CNC table will set you back about 5 or 6 grand, lucky for me one of my good fiends has one at his shop.

By the way, I freehanded my first ever keggle with the angle grinder and it came out pretty close to perfect. You just have to hold it nice and steady and use the rolled edge of the keg as guide. Don't try cutting all the way through in one pass.

Onescalerguy said:
What would be the easiest way to cut the top off of a 1/2bbl keg to make a brewpot out of it?Jigsaw..Sawzall...Cutting torch...?Any ideas out there?Thanks.

Talk to BierMuncher about what type of drill bit you'll need if you're going to use a saw. You'll need to drill about 5 "speed holes" in it first. After a few minutes of sawing, use a can opener / dynamite.

Bobby_M said:
By the way, I freehanded my first ever keggle with the angle grinder and it came out pretty close to perfect. You just have to hold it nice and steady and use the rolled edge of the keg as guide. Don't try cutting all the way through in one pass.
+1. My first one came out a little ugly, but the other ones have been nearly perfect. Buy the thinnest metal cutting 4.5" disks you can find. The thicker ones just make it more difficult.

Bobby_M said:

+1

Mine came out well.

pict00101ep3.jpg

Thanks everyone!I happen to have an angle grinder so i'm off to the hdwe store for disks.I'm not sure if i'll try to make some sort of jig or freehand it.Wish me luck.

This turned out to be a way easier project than i imagined.I bought 4 of the 4" .042 wide metal cutting disks and ended up using near 3 for the job.I freehanded the cut and it turned out great.I took my little dremel type tool and smoothed out the edges so i can run my finger around the rim without drawing blood.It took about 5 minutes.Thanks to the above videos i even removed the spout assembly too!Once again,thanks to all who chimed in...You people rock!!!!

Back