A question of intentionally brewing slowly, Joe_in_CT I am talking to you :) :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daze

Reaction score
I used one of the "sister" jars of yeast for a Whole Foods gallon of juice. I racked it to slow the fermentation. Even in my attic, in Connecticut, it was still too active IMO.

So Joe, how slow are you trying to go?? I understand the reasoning that by brewing it slow less apple flavor is stripped away by the CO2, but how long does a batch that is slow enough to maximize taste take??? Just trying to get a time reference.

This is my first year of playing with cider so I'm just going by what I've read.

For keeved juice, it has been suggested that 2 points of sg drop per week is good. If the gravity drop was faster they would rack the cider. It could be racked multiple times. I'm less concerned with the Whole Foods juice... I just want some "apple" to remain in the jug. I don't think there's a "flavor timeline".

The guys making traditional cider in the UK usually bottle in the Spring.

My work schedule also effects things.

This is my first year of playing with cider so I'm just going by what I've read.

The guys making traditional cider in the UK usually bottle in the Spring.

My work schedule also effects things.

Next year I'm gonna start a new batch every month after labor day and bottle late winter and spring. At least then I can use real pressed cider and not apple juice concentrate.

I haven't tried concentrate yet...

I'm planning on keeving more juice next Fall if this batch works out. I eventually plan to have some local cider apples to use.

Plant apples if you can!

Back