Transfering From Keg to Fermentor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DamageCT

Reaction score
I used to have a 5 gallon pot and used to just tip and pour it into a funnel that would go into my 6.5 gallon carboy. HOWEVER, I just bought a 15.5 gal kettle that has a ball valve on it. (And a fancy 4500 Watt SS heat bar).
I would like to connect silicone heat resistant tubing to this valve and have it go directly to my fermentor when I open the ball valve... Will the trub/pellet hops cause this tubing/ball valve to clog?

I don't believe that whirlpooling would help at all of I am having the beer run from the bottom of the kettle instead of syphoning from the top, right?

Yeah, clogging is likely. Some kind of an in-kettle strainer, bazooka tube, hop-stopper is your best bet. Whirlpooling will help, but you have to really spin it and give the hops time to settle, ~20 min.

I have a 15.5 Sankey kettle with a copper 1/2" dip tube. I use pelleted hops without a hop bag and run the hop sludge and all the break material into my bucket ferments. The tube and valve have NEVER clogged. The only time it did clog was with whole hops and no bag/ scrubbie filter which clogged the wort from going into the dip tube. I've made >20 batches, many with lots of hops (5 or more oz). You should be fine.

All that extra material will just settle to the bottom of your fermenter, especially if given enough time. Cold crash or use gelatin if you're scared or want absolutely clear beer.

Yeah, clogging is likely. Some kind of an in-kettle strainer, bazooka tube, hop-stopper is your best bet. Whirlpooling will help, but you have to really spin it and give the hops time to settle, ~20 min.

Wont a strainer/tube clog due to the pellet hops?

I have a 15.5 Sankey kettle with a copper 1/2" dip tube. I use pelleted hops without a hop bag and run the hop sludge and all the break material into my bucket ferments. The tube and valve have NEVER clogged. The only time it did clog was with whole hops and no bag/ scrubbie filter which clogged the wort from going into the dip tube. I've made >20 batches, many with lots of hops (5 or more oz). You should be fine.

All that extra material will just settle to the bottom of your fermenter, especially if given enough time. Cold crash or use gelatin if you're scared or want absolutely clear beer.

I actually have a plate filter and cold crash, so I am not worried about the trub...

However, wouldn't the hop residue be almost like dry hopping in the sense that it would give off some flavor in it's time in the fermentor? (Just wondering for future recipes).

I also use a dip tube but have it angled so the end of the tube is against the outside of the kettle. The tube is a couple inches above the bottom. installing the tube in this manner drains the wort free of trub. To get all the wort out I just tilt the kettle to keep the end of the tube under the wort. As long as I use pellets I have never clogged the tube. when I see I am drawing sludge from the bottom I just shut the valve.

I actually have a plate filter and cold crash, so I am not worried about the trub...

However, wouldn't the hop residue be almost like dry hopping in the sense that it would give off some flavor in it's time in the fermentor? (Just wondering for future recipes).

I haven't noticed any significant increase of hop flavor/ armoa OR vegetal or grassy flavor/ aroma from additional hop sludge in the fermenter. However, I have not done a side-by-side w/ a strained v unstrained batch.

If that's a worry, put it through a colander, mesh screen, paint bag on the way to the fermenter.

I also use a dip tube but have it angled so the end of the tube is against the outside of the kettle. The tube is a couple inches above the bottom. installing the tube in this manner drains the wort free of trub. To get all the wort out I just tilt the kettle to keep the end of the tube under the wort. As long as I use pellets I have never clogged the tube. when I see I am drawing sludge from the bottom I just shut the valve.

I'm not using a dip tube, im using a ball valve built into the kettle towards the bottom of the kettle.

Latest posts

Back