The Carbonator Cap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlphaWolf-Brewery

Reaction score
Does anyone know if this is supposed to have an o-ring to make a seal on the inside of the threads? Mine does not and I am having difficulty making a seal on a bottle without CO2 escaping.

Inside of the threads? There is a flat gasket inside the cap which is designed to make contact with the very top of the rim of the bottle. This is very similar to the gasket inside a female garden hose fitting.

Thats what I was looking for. Great mine is missing the gasket, wonder if I can find a new gasket or if I need to return the cap.

Can someone tell me what bottles they are having good luck with? I dont seem to be able to get one that will make a good seal.

I've used any bottle that comes with a carbonated beverage with success. I have 4 carbonators and always use them when I first rack to get a sense of the beer and check for any off flavors. I've used 2 liter bottles and I've used individual coke bottles. Never have had a leaking problem.

I've used any bottle that comes with a carbonated beverage with success. I have 4 carbonators and always use them when I first rack to get a sense of the beer and check for any off flavors. I've used 2 liter bottles and I've used individual coke bottles. Never have had a leaking problem.

Does yours have an inner gasket to seal the top of the bottle? My first one didnt and when I took it back they told me none of them did. I have only tried 20oz bottles, maybe I should try a 2 liter.

Check for cracks in the plastic, too. I am getting a new one this week - my first one only survived about 5-10 uses before the plastic cracked and rendered it unusable.

Any of my 2 liter bottles work (I usually use sprite), my smaller club soda bottles work (generic store brand) smaller soda bottles (12 oz). Haven't had an issue with the threads. I do seem to have an issue with the o-ring, but I tend to put a layer of teflon tape over it and it's fine for a number of uses.

I have two, and neither one of them have an o-ring. They have a tapered ring which cinches tight against the lip of any standard soda bottle. I have no issues with leaking.
However, if you don't take the plastic tamper evident ring off the bottle, from where the original cap was attached, it blocks the cap from screwing on completely in my experience.

Does yours have an inner gasket to seal the top of the bottle? My first one didnt and when I took it back they told me none of them did. I have only tried 20oz bottles, maybe I should try a 2 liter.

Here's a pic of two of mine, the other two are in use. They don't have any gaskets and I've never had a problem with leakage. The one on the right is my first one and I've used it a ton. A nice feature of mine is they have anti-gravity and can float on the formica ceiling.

CarbCap.JPG

Back