Nico's IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brasco20

Reaction score
Just wondering what you guys think of my first recipe, will it be any good?

Steeping grains
4oz Belgian Aromatic Malt
4oz Breiss Special Roast
6oz Breiss Rye

Malt Extract
3lbs Golden Light DME 60 min
3lbs Golden Light DME 30 min

Hops
1oz East Kent Golding 60 min
1oz Cascade 20 min
1oz Cascade 15 min also Irish Moss
1oz Cascade 10 min
1oz Cascade 5 min
2oz Chinook Flameout
2oz Chinook DryHop

For the grains, i wanted some rye, northernbrewers ryepa sounds good, though i have never had it, i like rye beers and love ipa's. The other 2 i just picked something light that sounded good, as i know nothing about grains.

What do you guys think?

I'm still new to this, so I can't make any educated suggestions on the steeping grains or DME addition times, but I am starting to get familiar with hop varieties.

I will say that in my own tastes and opinion, I would use the chinook moreso for bittering or around the 15-20 minute range and use the cascade at flameout and dryhop. that's just my personal taste though. I prefer the cirtusy aroma and flavor of cascade over the spicy chinook flavors.

I picked chinook and cascade because that what is used in ranger ipa, and i like the hop flavors in that beer. Rangers other hop is simcoe, i didnt have any so i used the golding. As far as when i added the hops, i looked at the alpha acids, and added the highest one at the end of the boil because i want it to be less bitter and more aromatic and flavorful. But, i dont know what the hell im doing! Just playin around hoping i will end up with good beer.

Ok. So top down here. Aromatic malt is not needed as you have all those hops that will cover the taste and aroma of that malt
Special Roast you can leave but it wont do much. It will darken your brew a bit but wont add much flavor.
Rye. You need alot more. If you want this beer to have any rye quality at all and your just steeping it you will need 1# or more I think.
DME additions are fine.
Hops. 1 oz EKG @60 will not give you enough bittering for an IPA.
Your other hop additions, move them back to 1.25oz @ 30, .75oz@20, .5oz Chinook and .5oz Cascade @ 10, .5 cascade @5 and .5 Chinook @5, Then @ flameout I would go .5oz or each and dry hop .5oz of each as well.
And use an english ale yeast or something with minimal esters and moderate attenuation

Hops. 1 oz EKG @60 will not give you enough bittering for an IPA.
Your other hop additions, move them back to 1.25oz @ 30, .75oz@20, .5oz Chinook and .5oz Cascade @ 10, .5 cascade @5 and .5 Chinook @5, Then @ flameout I would go .5oz or each and dry hop .5oz of each as well.

I like the sound of this. cascade and chinook aroma and flavor, mmmm.

I forgot to put the yeast on the list, i used 1056 American.

Will starting the hops at 30 min instead of 20 give it more flavor? Just curious, its too late now, the brew is fermenting!

I did an IIPA with chinook, cascade and centennial, Used chinook for bittering then mixed 2 parts cascade and 1 parts of centennial and 1 part chinook in a bag, I think about 5oz total and slowly added them a few pellets at a time starting at 30 minutes and ending at flame out. Chinook and cascade go great together as long as there not equal amounts, the chinook will totally overpower the cascade and centenial.

Yeah to late now man. But that 10 minute difference I have found just seems to round the flavor out a bit more. Flavor tends to be...weakish..at 10 minutes for my taste but with all those hops I dont think you will have any problem with flavor.

I got my all grain equipment today, and after trying to boil 5 gallons on my gas range, had to order a propane burner, so wont be brewing until next week. If i want to brew with rye, do i mash it with the rest of the grains?

Yeah. Rye adds a very nice, rounded taste when its mashed with everything else. The few times that I steeped it just didnt give it the same flavor and dryness that rye can impart.

I bottled this last night, it smelled and tasted great! Ill post how it is after sitting in the bottles for a few weeks.

This stuff turned out great! If you like a light bodied, light bittered, and major aroma IPA, try this one out. Next time im going to try stepping up the malt a bit.

Back