Typical Lauter Speed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bostinbru

Reaction score
First all grain over the weekend. Build my MLT from a igloo 50 quart, 30" SS braid, and 3/8" ball valve. Found braid floating in grain bed in beginning, I think I have to affix it to the bottom of the tun.

Was wondering: is this a typical lauter speed? Keep in mind this is fully open.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55129489@N02/5114299362/

It's preeeettttyyy sllloooowwww. First 5 gallons took over an hour to lauter out, over 2 hours for 7.5 gallons

+1 on the nut at the end of the braid and the hose barb/tubing at the end of the ball valve. I have never timed it, but I would guess the whole thing drains in less than five minutes in my 5-gallon tun.

+1 on the nut at the end of the braid and the hose barb/tubing at the end of the ball valve. I have never timed it, but I would guess the whole thing drains in less than five minutes in my 5-gallon tun.

Yeah, when I'm doing a normal ale with around 10-12 lbs of grain, I can usually get my first runnings out in around 5-10 minutes I would think.

I'm using a 3/8" connected with FIP to attach the braid; the FIP has a 1/4" opening which may be leading to the slow lauter speed. I don't believe it would cause THIS slow of a lautering however.

There's no way that it should be that slow. I would suspect that something had partially clogged your drain. Either way, if you attach some tubing on the outside end then you'll pull a siphon and drain your wort faster and more completely.

Attach tubing on the outside? On the draining end of my ball valve?

Yes. You should have some tubing (vinyl or silicone) on the outside, and it should reach to the bottom of the boil kettle. This is prevent splashing, and it will help work as a siphon to "pull" the wort out of the MLT.

Do you leave the top on the mlt? That would slow the lauter because there is a lack of avaliable air to enter the mlt by creating a suction slowing your lauter.

As said above, tubing on the discharge will help...never had a floating braid myself. Are you sure it is actually stainless and not a plastic/polymer braid?

+1 to both sugegstions.

I had to fasten a 1/2" brass stop to teh end of my braid to keep it weighted down.

Also, from what I undertand, the vinyl tubing on the spiggot promotes suction and a faster flow. You definitely want to have this.

John

The braid's SS, I'm thinking of cutting it shorter and affixing a heavy SS nut to the end. Typically you want to see the braid long enough to cover the bottom of the tun, and no longer, correct?

Also, I'll be adding the tubing to the discharge. Thanks for the ideas guys!

Well, my Bargain Fittings braid conversion has always seemed to drain the 'ol MLT plenty fast enough just running into the boil kettle, but now I suppose I'll have to try a tube on the outflow...

Back