Question for the batch spargers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dark_Ale

Reaction score
I have a grain bill for a brown I am making tomorrow
13.75lbs total

If I batch sparge, and assuming I hit 75% how many total boil volume gallons do you think I will end up with without going under 4 brix or 1.012~1.014
I'd like to get 6 gallons out of this and my boil volume to start at 7 gallons, but I dont want to oversparge....Thanks

I think you are over-thinking this process....If I were you I would mash with ~4 gallons of water & sparge with ~4.25 gallons of water. You should end up with ~7 gallons in your kettle.

Based on my experience with a similar sized grain bill I think you will be alright. I collect 7.5 to 7.75 gallons and do not go under the range you specify. I have to collect that much in order to end up with 5.5 gallons. I seem to loose a lot to evaporation even with the lid partially on and a nice roiling boil that isn't to vigorous.
Really though the only way to tell is to measue. I usually run the last half of the sparge into another kettle and measure it from there.

I would strike with 4.3 gallons and sparge with with 6.5 gallons (two batches at 3.25 gal). I've been using those ratios and am consistently hitting 75% eff and the last sparge is around 1.020-1.015.

Yuri_Rage said:
[POST WHORE]
I don't know, I fly sparge.

And I'm kinda drunk.
[/POST WHORE]

Good job man! Saturday afternoon and the world is in balance!:mug:

Back