copper sparge loop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabe

It's a sickness!
Reaction score
Hey guy's I just picked up 10 ft of 1/2 "(OD)copper tubing and plan to build my sparge loop.Do you guy's have any designs tha work really good? What about the holes 1/16 or 1/8? I plan on building this week. Cheers

I used CPVC for mine and made it into an 8 sided figure that just fits in my round cooler. I used wire drills to make the holes and then enlarged until I got a good flow rate without too many big drops in one place to create channeling. You could do the same with the copper (I'm assuming it's flexible tubing. If not, you just need a bunch of 45 degree elbows. I use several "s" hooks to hold the sparge arm above the mash.

I was actually thinking of building a rotating sparge arm with the copper I have laying around, but I don't know what to use to get a movable, yet watertight, fitting (something like the setup on a laundry sink lav?) Maybe someone here has an idea for that anc could post it?

Here's mine:
1332-P1010111.JPG

All I did was shape it, solder the end cap on and drilled the holes on the bottom (very tiny holes) works like a champ.. I attach via a compression fitting.

I used a 1/16 bit and drilled many holes, I wanted it to sprinkle more than pour onto the mash that way there is less chance of upsetting the grain bed. And you can always make the hole larger but you can't make them smaller.

Back