Growth in my Cider!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

accroul

Reaction score
I Started a Cider about 7 weeks ago and today I decided to check were it was at. I had an ABV 6%, but this is what else I found!

IMG_0912.jpg

A Slug!
I feel sick just thinking about it.
I am very tempted to tip this cider down the drain. Would you?

:off:
My mother used to put little dishes of beer in the vegetable garden as slug traps. Got them every time. This was many moons ago.
:off:

No ideas about the cider. sorry.

:mug:

Eww.

If it tastes fine, it probably is (I'd likely, however, dump it).

No airlock I take it?

I showed this to my other half when he got home last night. His opinion was that it was hidden up the tap on my bucket. Apparently slugs drown easily and as it was still alive, could not have come from inside the bucket, so I shall proceed!

I've seen many references of "olde English cider" that wound up with rodents in the ingredients... I don't know if it was real or apocryphal, but heck, what don't kill you, etc. You can always ferment it out and THEN dump it if it doesn't pass muster. Or bottle it and send it to your enemies. Or some folks on the HBT. Heh.

Well, I'm still alive after the sip I had last night while racking, so It can't be all bad!
You could call your cider "Sluggo's Best."
LOL I like it!, and if I don't have any enemies, I might soon make some when they find that the 'secret' ingredient was a slug!

You could call your cider "Sluggo's Best." :D

+1 for Sluggo's Best!!!

FYI, slugs dont carry disease, they are just dirty slimy little critters, nothing much to worry about. About my only concern would be bacteria in the cider causing an infection. If that doesnt happen I would assume you are good to go.

Back