Late Extract Sticky?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexavery

Reaction score
I've been trying to elarn about the late extract technique, and there are a bunch of random threads. I would think there would be a sticky on this? Is there, and am I just missing it?

Anyone feel like pointing me toward the "best" of the threads out there?

I've been trying to elarn about the late extract technique, and there are a bunch of random threads. I would think there would be a sticky on this? Is there, and am I just missing it?

A sticky would be helpful for the noobs. I found this site after I brewed the first batch. I wish I would have stumbled into this forum first. Late Extract Addition method is the first thing a noob should be made aware of. I haven't looked at this sticky (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/beginner-extract-brewing-howto-99139/) for a while but if it isn't in there it should be!

It's not difficult to practice the LA method. Normally you could use about 1ppg (pound per gallon) of DME at the begining of the boil (60 minutes) and add the rest of your DME with 15 minutes left in the boil. Some people add their DME at flameout, but I boil it for about 10-15 minutes, not necessarily to steralize it. I just like to make sure everything is boiled, even if it is for couple of minutes. Some reduce their bittering hops due to the increased hop utilization. I have found that using the full amount of hops the recipe calls for has kept IBU's within style guidelines for most brews.

Play around with it, my best result so far was a Stout I brewed (the one listed in my recipes) After steeping the specialty grains, I used the 1 lb of wheat DME with 3.5 gallons of water and added my bittering hop additon (I wanted to get the highest utilization I could). I then turn off my heat, dissolved the 4.75 lbs of DME, returned to a boil tossed in my Irish Moss and last hops addition, boiled for 15 more minutes. Best beer I have made so far, it was my third brew, and first using a recipe and not a kit.

Back