Question about priming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chemystree

Reaction score
I've been trying to wrap my head around this one, but I just got some corny kegs and am excited about kegging. My question is, if I prime with corn sugar or DME will I still need a CO2 tank to sort of push the beer out?

Yes, you will.

Or, you can buy those portable co2 chargers with a little gun thing to push it. But that is the most expensive way to go in the long run.

I've been trying to wrap my head around this one, but I just got some corny kegs and am excited about kegging. My question is, if I prime with corn sugar or DME will I still need a CO2 tank to sort of push the beer out?

Yes, you'll still need a source of steady, regulated Co2 pressure to serve. Keep an eye on Craig's list, cheap tanks/regulators show up there fairly often.

ok thanks for the help, i have a chance to get a 20lb tank off craigslist, is that overkill for a 2 keg system? I guess it would last a while if it didn't have any leaks...

A 20 lb tank isn't overkill. Think of it this way; Why would anyone buy a 45 pack of toilet paper at CostCo? Answer; Because you'll use it all eventually :D

its not overkill, but a cylinder that large you'll want to store outside the kegerator/keezer, which means you'll have to drill holes and avoid hitting refridgerant coils or you toast the kegerator.

a 5lb cylinder should carb and dispense 8-10 cornies. I don't like priming cornies because you create additional yeast sediment. To each their own ;)

Back