What's the worst craft brew (commercial) you've had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't tried the black wit, but their Ridgeback Amber Ale is uncommonly good.

Worst commercial craft brew (excluding anything with the name "Budweiser" in it, of course) I've had so far is the Sierra Nevada Kellerweis. 3 sips and I poured it down the kitchen sink drain. Maybe it's just not my style.

I also like the ridgeback a lot

I pretty much hate Sam Adams Cherry Wheat (Robitussin) and Abita's Purple Haze was moderately awful also. Maybe I'll come around now that my palate is evolving, but I don't know.

Malty_Dog said:
I pretty much hate Sam Adams Cherry Wheat (Robitussin) and Abita's Purple Haze was moderately awful also. Maybe I'll come around now that my palate is evolving, but I don't know.

Second that on Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. Looked sooo good...tastes sooo bad!! Probably the worst I've had so far.

I don't think it qualifies as craft brew, but the Amsterdam Maximator is by far the worst beer I've ever had. Whoever brewed this crap deserves to have their ass kicked.

Somehow, this stuff made me immediately hungover, completely bypassing the buzzed and drunk part. Each sip gave me an increasingly bad headache and upset stomach. Amazing, really.

Here are some comments about it on beer advocate:

"Like Satan's own urine... the taste was something akin to beer spilled into mop water, with a healthy dose of rubbing alcohol thrown in."

"This stuff tastes like my mouth after I used to wake up from college benders when I forgot to brush my teeth. Alcohol, slightly sweet grainy flavor, cheap hooch, aftertaste of nail polish remover and a touch of hops."

"Smell is repulsive. Honestly the homeless people I've seen drinking this crap could've pissed back into the can and barely told a difference.
Taste is miserable at best, downright offensive at worst"

Sam Adams Double Agent-IPL. Tasted and smelled like really cheap perfume dumped into Bud Light.

Sam Adams did a winter seasonal a few years back that tasted like they had fermented it inside a rotten tree.

But it was great when added to a stew.

A few weeks ago I tried Sam Adams whitewater ipa at a local Bww. They don't have much of a craft brew selection, so finally seeing an ipa on tap I asked for a sample. So glad I didn't buy a whole beer. This beer is nothing g like an ipa!!! And I am an ipa Guy! It tasted like a wheat beer infused with apricots! Nothing an ipa should represent. I have never been a Sam Adams fan, I did not know this was a Sam Adams product or I would have avoided it completely.

Odell Brewing's "The Meddler" is probably the first beer I've ever had I couldn't choke down. I ended up dumping it after two days of trying to drink it. It sucks too, because Odell is one of my favorite breweries and makes 2 beers that are in my top 10 (myrcenary and 90 shilling). I read the label, thought I might like it because I like other beers I've had of the same style, but god, it was awful! I thought there was something wrong with it but after reading about it on their website I think it is exactly what they wanted. Maybe someone will think it's a great beer but I found it completely undrinkable!

Sam Adams' Cranberry Lambic was a terrible disappointment, the first Sam Adams' beer that I really disliked. Completely missed the point of a lambic, while not even being good as a basic beer.

That wasn't the worst, though. One of the few craft beers I've ever dumped was a jalapeno ale from a brewery in Texas about twenty years ago, just when craft beers were first appearing in large numbers. I cannot recall the brand - something like 'Rattlesnake' seems to come to mind, but I don't know for sure - though that may be a mercy. Horribly overspiced, such that even my notorious love of hot chiles was overwhelmed, and what you could taste of the underlying beer was thin and skunky at best. Utterly undrinkable.

This is not exactly the *worst* beer I've ever tasted, but it definitely lived up to it's name. A local taphouse had "Arrogant Bastard" on draft. Even the description of the beer was arrogant, saying "you probably wont even like it."

You know what, it was right. I love hops. I love strong beers. I've been known to chew on a pellet while brewing just to weird people out. Yet, everything about this beer said "I think I'm awesome. I'm trying to hard. Look how intense I am. You're just not sophisticated enough to drink me." Never had a beer speak that much to me. It's the kind of beer that posts obnoxious stuff to it's facebook wall and you just want to grab it by the shoulders and say "STOP BEING A ******!" But then you realize if you argue with this person, you just look like a ****** too! ARGHHHH THIS BEER MAKES ME SO ANGRY! ****** ALE! *****EY *****EY ****** ******!

half_whit said:
ARGHHHH THIS BEER MAKES ME SO ANGRY! ****** ALE! *****EY *****EY ****** ******!

Guess they were right and "you're not worthy". I love the chinook in that beer. Widmers '12 dark saison was pretty funky, but I'm not a saison guy.

choosybeggar said:
A friend recommended Old Thumper. I was not a fan.

To elaborate a little. I'm not a huge bitters guy but find them mostly drinkable if not a little bland. Thought the ringwood in ol' thumper would make it special and unique and it does, just not in a manner solicitous to my palate.

Rogue Voodoo Doughnuts Maple Bacon. I took a sip and gagged. I handed it to my buddy. He took a sip, gagged. Then we proceeded to pour the glass and the rest of the 22oz bottle in the sink. Holy crap. Who the hell could possibly want that in their mouth?

Rogue Voodoo Doughnuts Maple Bacon. I took a sip and gagged. I handed it to my buddy. He took a sip, gagged. Then we proceeded to pour the glass and the rest of the 22oz bottle in the sink. Holy crap. Who the hell could possibly want that in their mouth?

I agree

Millstream Brewings Old Smokehouse Barley Wine Style Ale has got to be the worst beer that has ever passed my lips. I took one swig and then gave it to the sink.

Ybor Gold Calusa Wheat. Bloody awful! I won case for long drive in a charity golf tournament (I think second longest was 2 cases!). Tasted grassy--not as in "wheat" but as in aging fermenting piles of grass clippings in the hot August Tampa sun! Sort of a putrid vegetable smell that could also be defined as "fresh but certainly viable compost-a bit light on the chicken manure".

I couldn't even boil hotdogs in this swill. Finally gave it to a housepainter I know who sucks down Natty lite or Busch and he liked it fine. He also likes really cheap scotch whiskey and coca-cola.

OK, I have to join everyone saying Rogue Voodoo Maple Bacon. My friend brought me a bottle and said it was terrible, but I should try it anyway. Cloying artificial maple that coats the inside of your mouth and a liquid smoke flavor backing it up. I poured it into a 2oz taster glass, took one sip, gave my wife one sip, and poured out the other 1.75 ounces followed by the rest of the bottle. Worst beer ever! It makes me mad this beer exists at all, it makes me furious that Rogue sells it for $13+ a bottle.

Absolutely gross...........

wildblue_wallpaper_lge.jpg

Ingredients, as far as the brewer will tell you, are 2row, 6row, American and German hops, cereals, and blueberries... sounds good, doesn't taste good.

I tried this. Saw it in a local grocery. Looks good, seems like an interesting idea. Tastes like a cheap 40oz. malt with blueberry nerds mixed in it, only worse.

I happen to own a small blueberry orchard (20 year old bushes). This June I will make a proper blueberry ale.

Am I the only one who actually liked this beer?

CityOChampBrew said:
Am I the only one who actually liked this beer?

I had high hopes for that beer. Maple Bacon donuts are freaking awesome as is beer (obviously). I was extremely disappointed in the beer and the $13+ price tag. Cool looking bottle, though.

I had high hopes for that beer. Maple Bacon donuts are freaking awesome as is beer (obviously). I was extremely disappointed in the beer and the $13+ price tag. Cool looking bottle, though.

It's not something that I need to try again, but I don't think that it's the worst I've ever had. That was some sort of Alaskan summer ale I had a few years ago.

I think worst to date for me was anchor steam beers porter. I don't know if it was just that bottle was bad or what but I couldn't drink it at all taste was down right disgusting.

WesleyS said:
Hey, you don't get an opinion. It's a bacon beer so you probably didn't even try it Mr. Veggie! ;)

Tried it, hated it. It doesn't even taste like bacon, it tastes like their funky house smoked hickory malt, and this weird artificial maple flavor. Oh wait, you're the Rogue fanboy :p

1fast636 said:
I think worst to date for me was anchor steam beers porter. I don't know if it was just that bottle was bad or what but I couldn't drink it at all taste was down right disgusting.

You either had a bad bottle or you're trolling. Anchor porter is a fantastic robust porter.

The worst I've ever had was wolf creek brewery's stout. Holy diacetyl...

mpride1911 said:
It's not something that I need to try again, but I don't think that it's the worst I've ever had. That was some sort of Alaskan summer ale I had a few years ago.

Totally agree. It was the biggest letdown though given the price and all. The worst beer I've had was an IPA at a local brewery. It had a strange plasticy taste. My buddies and I thought it was a one time deal, but we tried it a few months later and it was still pretty bad.

Bell's Cherry Stout. Worst beer I have ever put in my mouth. Ended up giving the rest of the 5 to someone desperate for a drink.

Back