Beer tastes like yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenleaf

Reaction score
O.K. So I know that I tried my beer to early (10 days) but it tastes really strong of yeast. It is an IPA so I am hoping that it could just need time to do its thing. There is no green apple taste. And yes I have read the H:confused: ow to Brew By John Palmer. any one else experience this?

Your beer tastes like yeast because the yeast hasn't had time to drop out of suspension. Just give it some time (like another MONTH!). The yeasty flavor will subside, the beer will clear up, and all will be well.

boo boo said:
Sounds like you bottled a little early also. If you don't secondary, next time leave your brew in the primary for a week or two longer before bottling.

Bingo. if this beer sat in primary 10 days and was then bottled, it'll take quite a while to loose the yeasty flavor in the bottle. this is exactly what a secondary is for (not fermentation, but clearing the beer of excess yeast).

a pale ale should definitely be secondaried since it should be a clear beer.

a hefeweizen should be cloudy so it needs no secondary.

yeah. I was overanxious with this batch. I racked it to the secondary only 4 days in. I then bottled when I got consistent gravity readings @ 1.012 after 15 days. I am hoping that in another month I might be able to get rid of the yeast taste.

I just racked a Fat Tire Clone into the secondary . I let it go in the primary for eight days this time and am going to give it three weeks in the secondary to clear.

Your beer probably tasted less yeasty coming out of the secondary. But...since you added priming sugar to carbonate, you've re-awakened the yeast so they can digest the sugar and carbonate.

Once your bottles are fully matured, (3-4 weeks room temp), then chill them for a week and the yeast will fall out like lead turds.

Make sure to do one, smooth, continuous poor into a glass and leave the yeast sediment behind in the bottle.

this beer sounds like it'll have a lot more sediment in the bottle. don't let that discourage you. just gotta be patient. you simply can't rush good beer.

Back