Black Barley

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gedion

Reaction score
so i was in a local NON home brew shop when i ran across 12oz bags of Black Barley on sale for $.75. i was pretty sure i could make beer with it, and if not, id have lots of soup lol.

ok, so. anyone have a good simple recipe i could use this in? :mug::mug::mug::mug:

Golddiggie said:
Is it MALTED barley?? If not, you'll be using it for soups and such. :D

Black unmalted barley is used all the time in stouts. There's black malt and black barley. One is malted the other isn't.

Or use it in soup. I never thought about using malt or barley in soup. Guess I know what's for dinner tomorrow!

Black unmalted barley is used all the time in stouts. There's black malt and black barley. One is malted the other isn't.

Or use it in soup. I never thought about using malt or barley in soup. Guess I know what's for dinner tomorrow!

I'm not brewing stouts, so... :D

We've used regular barley in soups before. Been a while since we did so, but it can be good when done right (as with most things). :D

Won't the soup taste like coffee and burnt bread? I'd use it in place of black patent or roasted barley in a stout. Whether it's malted or not makes no difference at this point, as any enzymes were destroyed during the kilning process. You could also grind it to flour and use a little of it in dark rye bread or Russian black bread.

it looks like some of you haven't tried beef and barley soup. i highly recommend it.
ill take this as good news as i love stout.
its not malted i don't believe. it was packaged with the intent of cooking. dont think people cook with malt but i could be wrong.

Taste some, if it's roasted it will work fine in most stouts. I wouldn't cook with it, and I can say with certainty that beef barley soup with roasted barley in it would be pretty foul.

Taste some, if it's roasted it will work fine in most stouts. I wouldn't cook with it, and I can say with certainty that beef barley soup with roasted barley in it would be pretty foul.

But if it were foul, wouldn't than make it a chicken and barley soup? :)

-a.

Cool. Would you mind passing along a recipe or three? I'd be as interested as the OP is. My books don't cover it and I'm finding that some HB stores don't stock it.

Sure! Yooper's Oatmeal Stout is one of the first all-grain recipes I brewed. I think you posted a link above, but here it is again - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/yoopers-oatmeal-stout-210376/

Here's Jamil's Dry Stout - http://beerdujour.com/Recipes/Jamil/JamilsDryStout.htm - it says "roasted barley" in this recipe, but in the book "Brewing Classic Styles" it calls it "black roasted barley".

Here's Jamil's Oatmeal Stout - http://beerdujour.com/Recipes/Jamil/JamilsOatmealStout.htm - again, it's listing it here as "roasted barley" but the book calls it "black roasted barley".

Roasted barley is usually about 350L while black barley, or black roasted barley is more in the 500L range.

A trick to keep some of the acrid and ashy flavors out of the beer is to add the dark grains (anything over 200L) at sparge instead of adding to the beginning of the mash. You can crush them up using a coffee grinder, or just run them thru a mill as usual. You'll get all the color and flavor, but it won't have that sharp ashy bite that is easy to get with highly roasted grains.

A trick to keep some of the acrid and ashy flavors out of the beer is to add the dark grains (anything over 200L) at sparge instead of adding to the beginning of the mash. You can crush them up using a coffee grinder, or just run them thru a mill as usual. You'll get all the color and flavor, but it won't have that sharp ashy bite that is easy to get with highly roasted grains.

Another method is to add a tiny amount of baking soda to the mash. I made an Imperial Stout that was 11% black patent malt and added 7g baking soda. No harsh flavors whatsoever.

kingwood-kid said:
Another method is to add a tiny amount of baking soda to the mash. I made an Imperial Stout that was 11% black patent malt and added 7g baking soda. No harsh flavors whatsoever.

Interesting. I've never heard of that technique before. I'll have to so some research. Thanks for sharing!

Latest posts

Back