Online Beer Calculator Off - ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkey55

Reaction score
Hey,

I've been using Hopville's online calculator and it's not giving me correct ABV's.

A year ago, I bought a kit from my LHBS. The label said it was 5.2% abv. I double checked it against Hopville and it almost spot on.

Now, the calculator now says that it has a lower abv.

Here is my fermentables:
6lbs LME
1lbs Crystal 150
.25 Belgian Special B
.25 Roasted Barley

S-04 Yeast.

It's supposed to be 5.2% abv. The calculator now says it is 4.5%

Thoughts feedback. Maybe someone can help me by double checking it against another calculator.

Thanks,
E

What do you assume for your final volume? Using my default settings, I get 4.7-4.8% ABV for a 5.5 gallon batch, 5-5.3 for a 5 gallon batch.

The variation depends on assumptions about post-boil volume losses.

What do you assume for your final volume? Using my default settings, I get 4.7-4.8% ABV for a 5.5 gallon batch, 5-5.3 for a 5 gallon batch.

The variation depends on assumptions about post-boil volume losses.

I am doing 5 gallons for my final volume.

Did you run it through Beer Smith? Your target abv's look close to what I used to get using Hopville.

I'm on a Mac. From what I can remember, Beer Smith does not run on a Mac.

Thanks,
E

(OG-FG)*131=ABV

Pretty simple if you have your OG and your FG regardless what the recipe states. If your starting and finished gravities were different then then so too will be your ABV:)

BeerSmith 2 runs on my Mac just fine. It's what I used, but duboman's formula is find up to ABV around 10%. Above that it can underestimate by a bit. (I don't know whether BeerSmith uses a more sophisticated model or not.)

It will also vary on the brewing efficiency you put into the calculator so you may need to double check that it is correct or closer to correct.

Yeah, though since the majority of the gravity comes from extract, efficiency shouldn't make a big difference except through volume losses.

Nightshade said:
It will also vary on the brewing efficiency you put into the calculator so you may need to double check that it is correct or closer to correct.

Only if discussing estimated ABV.

The equation I mentioned will tell you what your ABV is as determined by knowing the actual FG and OG of your beer.

Back