Does anybody know a cheap place to get 6.5 or 7.9 fermenting buckets cheap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baddagger

Reaction score
Hey all was wondering if anybody woudl know of a website that i can order either 6.5 or 7.9 gallon fermenting buckets for a great deal and not over priced shipping? I need six at 6.5gallons or five at 7.9 gallons..Im going to be making 45 gallons of hard cider. i have 3 now so far but need more and kinda fast... going to be picking up the cider on friday

Uline has 6 or 7 gallon pails for about $9 each, but you have to buy covers separate and I don't know that they have the easy off covers. They have an East Coast distribution center but I don't know shipping prices.

Oh...min qty on the 6 and 7 gal is 5 pieces.

Check local industrial supply outlets for plastic buckets...

Check with local bakerys, the get frosting in 5-6 gallon food grade containers with lids. All you need then is to locate grommets locally the drill a hole install grommet and airlock.

Edit: they usually give them away for free

I don't know of a cheap source for 6.5 gallon size buckets but you can buy food grade white plastic 5 gallon buckets in walmarts paint department for under $3. Lids are $1 and a grommet would be 50 cents at a hardware store. Thus, to ferment 45 gallons of cider you would be looking at 11-12 buckets (leaving room for head space) at a cost of under $50 total. You could use lids from other 6.5 gallon fermentors that you have to save some money.

Just a thought.

I don't know of a cheap source for 6.5 gallon size buckets but you can buy food grade white plastic 5 gallon buckets in walmarts paint department for under $3. Lids are $1 and a grommet would be 50 cents at a hardware store. Thus, to ferment 45 gallons of cider you would be looking at 11-12 buckets (leaving room for head space) at a cost of under $50 total. You could use lids from other 6.5 gallon fermentors that you have to save some money.

Just a thought.

woudl they have 6 gallon buckets? cause i like to leave 1 gallon of head space.
also woudl u know if thoes buckets are air tight?

I'd venture most plastic pail fermenters are not airtight due to no seal in the lids. If you wanted something closer to air tight you'd have to use a real pail lid that has the big o-ring inside the lid groove. Those are HARD to remove though.

woudl they have 6 gallon buckets? cause i like to leave 1 gallon of head space.
also woudl u know if thoes buckets are air tight?

These are 5 gallons or 5.25 gallons depending on the maker of the bucket. I use these and the snap on lids with no problem at all. I ferment 3-4 gallons of wort in them with no trouble. I have about 10 of these because the biggest size I brew is in the 8-12 gallon range and then I split these into 3 smaller batches to try out different yeast strains, dry hops etc..

I know one poster in this thread mentioned being concerned about the snap on lids but I have never had any trouble with them and have used each bucket multiple times. Another option would be to buy one of the Walmart buckets and then get a lid from Lowes with a snap ring gasket seal to use. These lids are $2 at Lowes. I figured that part out later so i will move to these at some point in the future but don't need to yet.

These are 5 gallons or 5.25 gallons depending on the maker of the bucket. I use these and the snap on lids with no problem at all. I ferment 3-4 gallons of wort in them with no trouble. I have about 10 of these because the biggest size I brew is in the 8-12 gallon range and then I split these into 3 smaller batches to try out different yeast strains, dry hops etc..

I know one poster in this thread mentioned being concerned about the snap on lids but I have never had any trouble with them and have used each bucket multiple times. Another option would be to buy one of the Walmart buckets and then get a lid from Lowes with a snap ring gasket seal to use. These lids are $2 at Lowes. I figured that part out later so i will move to these at some point in the future but don't need to yet.

These buckets could also be used to store grain. I fit 23-25 lbs in each one.

6.8 gal buckets with lids here for $9.65 and free shipping if you have a Prime membership.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002VFXWL6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
31pxzyPrLXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I know one poster in this thread mentioned being concerned about the snap on lids but I have never had any trouble with them and have used each bucket multiple times.

If you don't need to use a tool or cutter to remove the lid we're not talking about the same kind of lids.

Gamma seal lids might be a good option, but those lids alone are about $8 each on top of the bucket price.

Back