Ingredient kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lewisjt

Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions on where to buy my next ingredient kit? I'm new to the game and only have one brew under my belt so I want to stick to simple extract kits...for now. My local shop has prices that aren't appealing and northern brewer shipping rates kill the deals.

northern brewer shipping rates kill the deals.

If you order online, you're going to have to pay shipping. Remember that "free shipping" means that prices are generally higher.

Northern Brewer's flat rate shipping is actually pretty awesome as long as you buy enough to make it worth your while. I'd also suggest Austin Homebrew, but you might complain about their generous shipping as well. Personally, I think both have reasonable prices, especially with their flat rate shipping.

Northern Brewers flat rate shipping covers the ingredient kits and is $7.99
I used to buy 2 or 3 kits and some other supplies on each order.

Others have $5.99 flat rate shipping but their prices are a little higher.

Others to look at are
Austin Homebrew Supply
Midwest Supply
MoreBeer
Williams Brewing

There are others. I often shop and put things it the cart on a few sites, add the shipping then compare the prices and order from the one that totals lowest.

Other times I order from the ones I trust the most.

Midwest charges actual shipping- probably more than the $8 for Northern Brewer.

I like Austinhomebrew.com for ingredient kits- they have hundreds and hundreds to choose from and they are all made up when you order (not sitting in a box on a shelf). It's $8 for shipping, also.

You know, if you order three kits at a time, then it's more cost effective. That's what I used to do- order three at a time, and then be able to brew for a couple of months. The grain comes in vacuum sealed bags, so it'll stay fresh, and the LME comes in tubs. The hops go in the freezer, and the yeast in the fridge.

Just go to your local shop and ask them to match the deals you can get online, this is what I did with success, they love the opportunity to get and keep your business running thru them so they will usually match pricing if you ask nicely, especially if you can buy in volume, say over $100-200 they would for sure want to earn your business, I recently placed a $700 order with my LHBS and they gave me all prices more than %20 off retail, whatever it took to beat online prices is what he did for me. Even the yeast he gave me 20% off that brings it down to 5.50 per Wyeast pack, you can't find that deal online... Plus no shipping fees! (just have to pay sales tax) Good Luck!

Toss in some more Citra and Keg it.

Thanks for the quick response fellas. I'll check to see if my LHBS will price match. Otherwise I'll wait till I get paid and pick up a couple kits and another carboy online, to utilize flat rate shipping.

I've been ordering from midwest since I'm in NE OH & they're in MN. Since they use Fed-Ex home delivery,I get it in 2 days average. But the shipping cost is $11.41,their 2nd cheapest method,but faster than most. So the $25 PM kit totals $36.41,about the cost of my average all extract batch. Original kit price was $24,but added $1 for premium dry yeast (US-05 vs munton's 6g packet which is standard).
I just wish shipping didn't add up to local sales tax. And congress is now working on another bill to allow sales tax to be charged on point of purchase online,regardless of where you are. Local shops don't carry everything we typically need,then cry foul when they loose business. jeez...

My LHBS is in the basement of a hardware store. They carry the essentials but the only kits on hand is true brew. They might be good kits but I doubt they have a quick turn around. Northern brewer gets my business for now. I'll buy two kits at a time.

Thanks for the quick response fellas. I'll check to see if my LHBS will price match. Otherwise I'll wait till I get paid and pick up a couple kits and another carboy online, to utilize flat rate shipping.

In addition, see how frequently they go through their product and re-stock as you want fresh kits. a lot of LHBS I know do not move a lot and some sit on the shelves for quite a while.

Most of the mail orders package their own kits and move quite a bit so their ingredients are usually pretty fresh. IME when I did extract kits the local LHBS was more but when adding in the shipping the difference was very minimal. In addition, if you order multiple kits at a time there is a break in shipping costs to make it more worthwhile. I usually try to order as much as I can from a location so everything gets shipped together and there can be large savings in shipping.

Also, as a side note, things are only going to get more expensive with the drought conditions being felt throughout the country and hop shortages in other areas:)

Our shop has extreme difficulty competiting with the big boys in the internet world, mostly because of shipping. For us to match shipping rates with the larger stores, we lose money on the sale.

That being said, I do think we have some outstanding kits. All of our kits are recipes are custom, tried and true recipes from our own experience -- we don't even sell true brew or whosever kits from the distributors. And we make the kit at the time you order it, so you can guarantee the ingredients are fresh.

One tip on getting the best deal at your LHBS: Buy with cash and ask for a cash discount (or combine with the price matching concept). I can tell you that we would rather have a sale than no sale, but it has to be like for like.

Cash money is always preferred. But they're both money, so yeah, we'll do either.

But (insert credit card company name here)'s fee is going to be roughly 2.8%. That fee essentially comes from our pocket, if we're trying to keep our prices low. We may give some kind of discount for cash purchases that are of more than marginal amounts. If you're buying a $5 item, I wouldn't expect much, but if you get 2 kits, a carboy, a thermometer and some caps -- well yeah, we'll probably consider it IF YOU ASK. You don't ask, we won't offer ; ) It doesn't seem like much until you add up the CC fee column on the year-end spreadsheet. We've all been practically brainwashed in the name of convenience and "security!"

It's a similar philosophy on our kits -- we include priming sugar and yeast, but if someone already has those items from a prior brew session or in bulk, I'd rather save them for someone else than give it to you if you don't need / want it. Most poeple are not particularly stingy (though there's really nothing wrong with that - they paid for it!) and are cool with that.

We're a super-small new shop and it helps us to keep prices at a reasonably low level as well as it gives us the ability to offer the occasional incentive to our "regulars."

Cheers!

lindenboy said:
Cash money is always preferred. But they're both money, so yeah, we'll do either.

But (insert credit card company name here)'s fee is going to be roughly 2.8%. That fee essentially comes from our pocket, if we're trying to keep our prices low. We may give some kind of discount for cash purchases that are of more than marginal amounts. If you're buying a $5 item, I wouldn't expect much, but if you get 2 kits, a carboy, a thermometer and some caps -- well yeah, we'll probably consider it IF YOU ASK. You don't ask, we won't offer ; ) It doesn't seem like much until you add up the CC fee column on the year-end spreadsheet. We've all been practically brainwashed in the name of convenience and "security!"

It's a similar philosophy on our kits -- we include priming sugar and yeast, but if someone already has those items from a prior brew session or in bulk, I'd rather save them for someone else than give it to you if you don't need / want it. Most poeple are not particularly stingy (though there's really nothing wrong with that - they paid for it!) and are cool with that.

We're a super-small new shop and it helps us to keep prices at a reasonably low level as well as it gives us the ability to offer the occasional incentive to our "regulars."

Cheers!

Not to hijack the thread but why don't you offer/advertise discounts for people that belong to local brew clubs or members of the AHA?

My LHBS advertises and offers these discounts and it really shows in the repeat business and loyalty of the customers they have. Everyone I know shops there because of it and their business is doing great. They also do things to bring people in like hosting a big brew day event and other local get togethers that welcome everyone, including people who have never brewed. After these events I've seen people walk out with starter kit packages and kits all the time!

I always fill my cart at both Midwest and Northern Brewer to see who is less expensive. I order ingredients and make my own recipes(didn't think I would a year ago). If you are ordering kits though, you really have to worry more about who makes the kit than the cost. Not all kits are created equal. I have heard good things about AHS. I like the Northern Brewer and Midwest kits.

Back