Cleaning keg Bottoms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kilroy

Reaction score
During my little rust problem, I stumbled upon another issue.

How to actively clean the bottom of a keg.

My forearms are just too damn meaty to get that far into the keg to scrub.

Even if I use a long handled brush.

So My question is thus:

To the people that have been using kegs a helluva lot longer that me (just about anybody in that case) How do you clean the crud that may have settled and solidified on the very bottom of the keg?

Have you rigged up a special tool? if so lets see some pictures please.

Thank you

Kilroy

I'd say you drop in a 1/4 cup of oxyclean and the hottest tap water you can manage. Let it sit for 2-3 hours and then power spray that puppy. (Do not shake)

I've never seen a keg that couldn't be rinsed of crud wit hot water. It must have really dried on there.

The OxyClean and hot water cleaned the majority of the crud off, but I have a ring that will not come off easilly

If oxyclean doesn't do it, get some PBW. I burned some BBQ sauce in a pot the other day and it sat for a couple more days...some hot PDW cleaned the pot shinny in no time.

I've heard of people using toilet brushes for this very purpose.

I'm going to hope that they bought a new one that's dedicated to ONLY this purpose ;)

Back