April Fool's beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinnan5150

Reaction score
We all talk about how great it would be to brew thsos or brew that. Just curious what your thoughts are on what an intentionally horrible beer would be, like an April Fools joke.

Don't hold back. Let's hear your ideas for the most putrid thing you could intentionally brew that would actually work.

I'll start with a blonde ale with chicken stock in the secondary. Happy early April Fools Day!

PS - I realize this is probably a stupid thread but I am bored.

This may not be as bad as adding chicken stock but I've made Christmas Malt Liquor. I don't have the recipe handy but I remember it being maybe 2/3 6-row and 1/3 flaked corn with very little bittering hops. I bottled it in 40 oz bottles and made labels with off-color Christmas themes. The problem was, after bottling all I planned on giving away, I still had a half keg or so of nasty malt liquor!

Not really an April Fool's joke, but I made a blonde IPA. Looks like a BMC, but has about 90 IBU's and 7.5% ABV. Still in the primary at the moment.
Tom

Force carb some water with a touch of yellow food coloring, bottle, and serve. Then wax poetic about how it's the best beer you've ever made, and how you can't wait for them to try it and tell you what they think.

Snakeabob said:
Force carb some water with a touch of yellow food coloring, bottle, and serve. Then wax poetic about how it's the best beer you've ever made, and how you can't wait for them to try it and tell you what they think.

Why all the BMC jokes?

Snakeabob said:

carltjones said:
Why all the BMC jokes?

I don't think this was intended as a bmc bash. It'd be quite funny to try. See how the placebo effect works on people. A beer that's not even beer. See how many of your friends act drunk after a few. Add some nerf characteristic without the alcohol

The Ovaltine Beer Beer-Baron made. maybe a little more Hops to give the effect of an IPA and to overpower the sulfur smell so it's not a giveaway.

The Carbonate water with food coloring idea is pretty good too.

Carbonate black coffee. That would be easy and quick. Looks just like a stout.

Carbonate with helium (is that possible?). Besides the funny voices, you would have to call it a light beer :)

I have had an actual clamato beer. Not half bad if you like clamato.

A "gentleman" at my local HB club brought in a bottle of 7 year old beer that he was having a hard time getting rid of. Being one to never pass up on a free glass of beer, I said I'll have some. The beer was was his HOG style flavored with horse radish, onion, and garlic. After about three sips I had to dump it out. :cross:

I wonder if you took yellow food coloring, water, and a cup of vodka and force carbed it - could you convince someone it was a very light pilsner?

oyster stout

A friend of mine (an HBT member as well) made an oyster stout a few months back, and it was delicious. It only had a very subtle brine flavor, but it was very good. If you make this as an April Fools joke I'll be a happy recipient of your sense of humor! :mug:

Instead of "wasting" a batch come up with a recipes for a dark beer without any of the grains that add the dark color or vice versa. April fools doesn't have to mean something that tastes bad, but can be even more effective with something that tastes great but entirely different than it looks.

A friend of mine (an HBT member as well) made an oyster stout a few months back, and it was delicious. It only had a very subtle brine flavor, but it was very good. If you make this as an April Fools joke I'll be a happy recipient of your sense of humor! :mug:

lol really?

i love oyster and i love stouts but i didnt think it would work

were they raw oysters or cooked ones?

lol really?

i love oyster and i love stouts but i didnt think it would work

were they raw oysters or cooked ones?

He put raw oysters (shell and all after shucking) in the boil. I don't recall how many he used.. It was superb beer, and I won't touch an oyster with a 10 foot pole! Yet, I still enjoyed it!

Back