DAP (Di-ammonium Phosphate)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewdell19

Reaction score
Do I have to use this at flame out, or can I put it in after a day in the fermentor? I forgot to add it to my most recent brew. Thanks

I hear it helps with the sour sorghum taste as well??

I used DAP on my last batch. It was the first time I used it, and I threw it in @ 10 min. I have heard the same thing about its effect on sorghum as well. I will be tasting this batch in 2 days and will let you know if I can tell a difference.

You don't need to add it to the boil. You can just add it to the to primary. If you do not properly rehydrate your yeast and are just dumping the packet in, I'd recomend adding the DAP after you have pitched your yeast. DAP is bad for yeast while they are rehydrating.

I've always added it to my mead, and other non-beer fermentations, cold... Just measure out the dose, and pitch it in...

I know a lot of mazers use it in steps before the 1/3 break in their mead batches. Then one final dose at that point before walking away...

I wouldn't add it to what you're rehydrating yeast in... I usually add a dose to the must before I pitch the yeast in... Give it a little time to get into solution, and you shouldn't have any issue.

There is no need to do staggered nutrient additions in beer (maybe if you were making a GF barley wine).

I know the stepped nutrient additions is more of a mead thing... Just using the method for reference that you don't need to cook the nutrient.

I would just give it a reasonable amount of time to dissolve before pitching the yeast... As little as 10 minutes could be good. I probably wouldn't go more than an hour.

Assuming that the original recipe is one that calls for its use, even several days after pitching...

I'd DAP that.

DAP will do... DAP will do... :D

In my experience (have NOT brewed gluten free) most worts (unless high ABV) don't really need DAP added... I've used the Wyeast nutrient in batches (and starters) but I'm not sure if that's GF or not... If you need it to be 100% GF, then I think your options are more limited... You might be better off just boiling (to kill) some yeast and add that as nutrient... Of course, you'll probably want to use GF yeast...

Wyeast is not GF but if you use Wyeast liquid then mathematically your glutem ppm would be around 2 which falls below European standards. I want to try Wyeast but if I get sick after drinking I dont want to dump the whole batch... might be worth a try in a smaller batch.

Thanks BBBF- where do you get that? My homebrew store only sells White Labs...

Just added some DAP and it started to bubble more only seconds after I put the lid back on!

So how much DAP/gal for beer then? I know they say if you are all grain you don't need it but what is the target range? Yeast says 1/8t per 2L starter but that's also using DME.

dont worry about it, throw it in at the end of the boil, use about 1 tsp (no more), and you will have a nice strong fermentation. this stuff helps take out the metalic taste in the sorghum malt, i think the sorghum stresses the yeast and thats why you get off metalic-flavors. But thats only my opinion.

pintail78 said:
dont worry about it, throw it in at the end of the boil, use about 1 tsp (no more), and you will have a nice strong fermentation. this stuff helps take out the metalic taste in the sorghum malt, i think the sorghum stresses the yeast and thats why you get off metalic-flavors. But thats only my opinion.

1tsp for a 5 gallon batch?

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Hi Everyone,
I need some expert advice on DAP here! I've been brewing for a few years and usually get it reasonably ok. This time I'm very worried though: I usually keg, but decided to bottle half of my current 10 gal batch (irish red ale with oats). I boiled 4oz of priming sugar and distributed it evenly across 9 sanitized 2L growlers. Then, being the genius that I am, I decided to add a small bit more to increase carbonation. SO, I picked up the bag and poured a little (maybe one tsp) directly into each 2 Litre growler. After racking and sealing the bottles, I realized that the second bag I used was not priming sugar at all...
It was actually DAP (Di Ammonium Phospate), which is a nitrogen aid with a recommended use of 1/2 to 3/4 grams per gallon. So, I have used at least 10 times too much.

My question is: do I have to throw out the batch?
(I am aware of the pressure issues and am conditioning in a vented cooler box.)

Any info is appreciated!

It might have a metallic/salty taste to it. Let them carbonate, taste and find out. Even if there is an off flavor, I would set them aside and taste them over time. Maybe it'll improve.

I was one of first to start using DAP, that was a few years ago. Ive used it on probably 30-40 batches, heres my take:
1) I use it sparingly, maybe a level tsp at most, or even 1/2 of that.
2) Its like fertilizer, it doesn't matter when you add it, really its just a nutrient.
3) If you add too much it will taste and smell slightly sulphury at first, even that will go away (most all of the time) with a little time.
The stuff is great, if you use sorghum as a base and proper brewing techniques fermentation temp etc you will get a nice tasting beer. Its gonna be dry as its the nature of sorghum, but there are other ways to get around that too.

Back