Strong Maple Old Ale- RECIPE HELP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYCBrewGuy

Reaction score
I want to brew a big beer for the Winter and figure I should get started. I think I'll do a 3 gallon batch session beer with Wyeast Scottish Ale and pitch this onto the cake. Never done a beer like this and appreciate your critique!

Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 34.78 %
8.50 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 49.28 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 2.90 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 2.90 %
0.50 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 2.90 %
0.25 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 1.45 %
3.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (90 min) Hops 42.6 IBU
1.00 lb Maple Syrup (35.0 SRM) Sugar 5.80 %
1 Pkgs Scottish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1728) Yeast-Ale

I brew-in-a-bag in a 6 gallon stock pot so was planning on doing a single infusion at 155F and adding the extract at the start of the boil. Boil for 90 minutes to get some caramelization. Thought I'd add the maple syrup to primary and maybe add a 2nd pound a week in (or is that too much sugar as a % of fermentables... OK to go over 10%?). I've heard Grade B Maple is the way to go.

Is it best to bulk age these big beers or bottle age? I plan to bottle condition so maybe let it go 3/4 weeks in primary and then bottle and let it condition for 5+ months?

Thanks for the help!

Bulk conditioning is always better in my opinion. It just ages faster that it will in bottles. I'd do a secondary with something this big and leave it alone for a few months. 2 lbs of syrup is probably a bit too much. I did a Maple Nut Brown a few years ago with 12oz of store bought 100% maple syrup added in the last 5 minutes of the boil. It turned out fantastic and the family is still begging me to brew it again.

Back