Polish lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd

Reaction score
Would anyone have a Polish Lager recipe? I have a polish freind and she like zywiec and Hevelius Kaper. I can't seem to find it here so we are thinking of trying to brew some. Any ideas?

Austin Homebrew has two different Polish hops, one is a Saaz sibling, the other is a mid-alpha 9%???. Probably could just use those in a basic pilsner formula, adjusting for differences in alpha acids. They use those in their Baltic Porter, which I am planning on brewing soon to apease my partial Lithuanian heritage.

There is a recipe for Zywiec Beer in clone brews, pg 125. I haven't tried it but here it is:

6 oz 2.5L German Light Crystal Malt
0.5lb German Munich Malt
6.6lb Ireks light malt syrup
Irish Moss

2oz Polishner Lublin (4.5%AA) (60min)
1/4oz Hallertau Hersbrucker (15min)
1/4oz Hallertau Hersbrucker (5min)

Yeast: Wyeast 2278 or 2007

Cheers!

I would suggest that trying to duplicate a specific brand of beer at home is difficult with any style beer, but particularly so with Pilsners.

When it comes down to it, very very few people can do a blind taste test and pick out a specific commercial beer from amongst direct competitors.

Trying to make a home brew that will also stand out as being unique from equivalent clones can also be difficult.

The two Polish beers you mention are excellent- my local beer store gets one or the other quite frequently- but they're really not all that different than other German or Czech equivalents.

IMHO, no extract based beer will ever come close to being a clone of a commercial Pilsner. Same as Mom's scratch made chocolate cake can never be duplicated from a mix in a box.:mug:

Mikey said:
I would suggest that trying to duplicate a specific brand of beer at home is difficult with any style beer, but particularly so with Pilsners.

When it comes down to it, very very few people can do a blind taste test and pick out a specific commercial beer from amongst direct competitors.

Trying to make a home brew that will also stand out as being unique from equivalent clones can also be difficult.

The two Polish beers you mention are excellent- my local beer store gets one or the other quite frequently- but they're really not all that different than other German or Czech equivalents.

IMHO, no extract based beer will ever come close to being a clone of a commercial Pilsner. Same as Mom's scratch made chocolate cake can never be duplicated from a mix in a box.:mug:

I agree, I'll be doing it all grain. Even if I can't nail the specific beer if I can atleast get close in the style. I see the ones I'm refering to are not listed as pilsner but a strong lager, I assume that is because they are darker in color.

What grain would I sub on that clone recipe to take the place of the extract?

I recently read that beer from the Polish region used Rose Hips as a preservative before hops were introduced! I was very excited to read that as I am Polish and also want to brew a unique Polish style beer. Maybe find a way to introduce this into the beer (end of boil, secondary fermentation) to make an "authentic," traditional Polish beer.

Note: Rose Hips should NOT replace hops or even be partially substituted for it. It may, or may not, be a good option for lagers. It could change the color slightly.

Todd said:
I see the ones I'm refering to are not listed as pilsner but a strong lager, I assume that is because they are darker in color.

Strength has nothing to with colour. These two beers are approx. the same colour as any other all mlt pilsner.

Could be some local liquor laws where you live that forces them to put that name on the label.

Mikey said:
Strength has nothing to with colour. These two beers are approx. the same colour as any other all mlt pilsner.

Could be some local liquor laws where you live that forces them to put that name on the label.

The company itself lists it as two different styles, perhaps a pilsner is a certain level. I just wasn't sure if it is simply a strong pilsner or if it would be something different. Pilsners tend to be super light, this is a more amber color.

Back