kegs, are they really this elusive??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Djlunchbox

Reaction score
i've been all over the place trying to buy kegs. my local distributer won't sell them, even for their deposit. it's looking like i may have to drink way too much bad beer and loose my deposits... this noob just wants to nake some keggles! anyone else have any ideas where to get some 15 gal. kegs for cheap?

That is because the deposit on those kegs is not what they are worth, it's just a deposit. When you pay that deposit they are counting on you bringing it back, it's not legally yours and they have really been cracking down on this in the last couple years.

I was overwhelmed when I put up a craigslist ad. I only wanted two, but I could have picked up 20 for $30 a piece. I only kept the ad up for a few days.

I was overwhelmed when I put up a craigslist ad. I only wanted two, but I could have picked up 20 for $30 a piece. I only kept the ad up for a few days.
Same with me. I got all I wanted at $25 each. The ad lasted no more than a week.

god i love this forum, it has good ju-ju! as soon as i posted this thread, i called 3 coworkers. (i'm a cable guy) my buddy walked into a house, saw a keg, and the lady says that if she can dig it out, he can have it, lol. i called my supervisor, asked him since i know he has a tap installed next to his kitchen sink, and he has 3 i can have for a nice case of homebrew! lmao! i'm psyched.

ps, on my local craigslist there's been someone looking for them for a while. they keep reposting ads.

I think I am going to have to just buy a kettle myself. I actually have a keg but I don't know anyone who would be able to cut a hole in it. I am guessing that after the cost to get it cut and to have a spigot welded on I'd be better off just buying something.

Given the price difference of a $25 keggle or a $200 kettle...

i'd rather not dump a huge amount into this project just yet anyhow.

btw, there should be no problems doing 5 gallon batches in the full size kegs at first right? i want room to grow after i find a good recipie, hence the keggles.

I'm in the same boat for elusive kegs. Craigslist ad got nothing, called 5 scrapyards and only 1 had a keg (but it was a pony, and dented to hell), no friends know of any leads, and the local distributor I called, although very courteous, is (obviously) not authorized to dispose of even damaged kegs. I got so frustrated that I switched my designs to a 5 gallon system, and bought kettles and a cooler instead.

I think I am going to have to just buy a kettle myself. I actually have a keg but I don't know anyone who would be able to cut a hole in it. I am guessing that after the cost to get it cut and to have a spigot welded on I'd be better off just buying something.

Drill, hole saw and go weldless

I found a local sheet metal place that cut my first keggle and installed a 1/2" coupler for $92. The second one I had done cost me $70 since it took less time. With the cost of the kegs at $25, I'm in for around $200 for the pair.

collage partys, your bound to find a keg or three somewere. and by the time they finish it theyll be so drunk they wont even notice you slipping it into your car.

Wow, page two and no 'keg nazis' yet tell everyone shame on them for stealing from BMC by buying kegs off of craigslist and what not. I'm impressed.
/sarc

Wow, page two and no 'keg nazis' yet tell everyone shame on them for stealing from BMC by buying kegs off of craigslist and what not. I'm impressed.
/sarc

I'm kind of surprised, too. Considering a thread about the morality of getting BMC/used kegs and its impact on brewers was how I first found this forum.

I'd obviously prefer new, but can't afford that. Second best for me is a scrapyard - I figure once it's at the scrapyard, the damage is done, and it's either going to get resold to someone else, or melted down. I am most definitely opposed to keeping one on deposit, however.

Just keep an eye on Craig's list. I am picking up 4 decommissioned (legal) 1/2 barrels tomorrow for $20 bucks a piece. I've been looking for a while and just happened to get lucky finding a post this morning.

Given the price difference of a $25 keggle or a $200 kettle...

You can buy pots used for less than 200 ... Specially if you go with aluminum .

60 qt pot 51$ delivered two weldless fitting less than $40(thank you bargainfittings) thermo 19$ on Ebay I am not counting the QD as most dont need them
NewHLT.JPG

120 Qt pot FREE (right place right time)weldless less than $20
new3.JPG

20 gallon brews priceless:D

well....my keg adventure continues. i went to pick up the 3 kegs my supervisor said he would leave outside for me, and he must have forgotten.

i agree with not stealing them. i didn't think that keeping them and forfitting the deposit was stealing them. from what i was told at my local distributer this afternoon, ( an An-busch warehouse) they have to pay bud 30.00 for a deposit, then they charge the liquer stores the 30.00, then the liquer store charges us the deposit. the money all goes to BUD if we decide to keep the kegs. Do you guys think bud pays more then 30.00 per keg? ( please don't take my tone as bitchy, just mere curiosity :D )

Guys, search for kegerators on c-list. I was getting minimal response to my want ads, but when I started emailing people who were selling their kegerators, most had a keg (or three) to get rid of. I'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner. good luck

Djlunchbox,

I too live in CT and see the same ad by the dude in RI. He posts like every day! I posted like 3 times and managed to get a response the third time (still working out a meeting time). If you don't mind going to Boston, there was a guy that was only willing to sell them in pairs. Not sure how many you need, but if he still has them, I am going to be going up sometime soon and would pick them up if you wanted one too. Send me a PM if you are interested. If you need two, I will give you his email too (I really don't need more than 2 so they are all yours if you want). :)

well....my keg adventure continues. i went to pick up the 3 kegs my supervisor said he would leave outside for me, and he must have forgotten.

i agree with not stealing them. i didn't think that keeping them and forfitting the deposit was stealing them. from what i was told at my local distributer this afternoon, ( an An-busch warehouse) they have to pay bud 30.00 for a deposit, then they charge the liquer stores the 30.00, then the liquer store charges us the deposit. the money all goes to BUD if we decide to keep the kegs. Do you guys think bud pays more then 30.00 per keg? ( please don't take my tone as bitchy, just mere curiosity :D )

I can buy new kegs from Scheaferkegs.com for 135 plus shipping from Buffalo NY . I would think BMC gets a discounted price on say an few 100 or a thousand at a time but the deposit doesn't cover the keg . I pay 75$ deposit when I get a commercial keg for parties. I am not getting into the stealing aspect as its been hashed out before on this board.

Djlunchbox,

I too live in CT and see the same ad by the dude in RI. He posts like every day! I posted like 3 times and managed to get a response the third time (still working out a meeting time). If you don't mind going to Boston, there was a guy that was only willing to sell them in pairs. Not sure how many you need, but if he still has them, I am going to be going up sometime soon and would pick them up if you wanted one too. Send me a PM if you are interested. If you need two, I will give you his email too (I really don't need more than 2 so they are all yours if you want). :)

hey thanks a bunch bro! thats nice of you. actually guys, i am all set. i met up with my bud and i am now the proud owner of 3 near perfect Anheuser Busch kegs! they look like they will polish up very nicely! question tho, these feel like aluminum, but all i read is that they are stainless steel? i'm confused:confused:

Knowing what I know now, I would have saved up for Kettles. If I had the money I would sell my keggles and get Boilermakers in a heartbeat. Keggles are an inexpensive alternative but are a pain in the ass.

Drill, hole saw and go weldless

Yeah the hole saw would work for the spigot. But what I meant was I'd need the top cut open. I have no metalworking experience but I bet it would take a beast of a hole saw to cut a 12-14" hole in the top of a keg.

Use an angle grinder to cut the top. Bobby M has a video on youtube of how to do it. If you look around the web you will find other things too. Grats on the kegs, glad everything worked out!

I down with this thread.

I just posted an "Item Wanted" ad on Craigslist.

I'll let you know how it pans out.

An update: I thought I had posted my Craigslist ad on Jan. 21, when I made this post, but it didn't go up. I ended up posting on the 22nd.

I had a response and 2 empty (partially) kegs in the back of my jeep by the 24th (yesterday). Now they are over at my brew buddy's house waiting to go to the welding shop to lose their tops. We will drill the holes and use weldless fittings. Sweet!

An update: I thought I had posted my Craigslist ad on Jan. 21, when I made this post, but it didn't go up. I ended up posting on the 22nd.

I had a response and 2 empty (partially) kegs in the back of my jeep by the 24th (yesterday). Now they are over at my brew buddy's house waiting to go to the welding shop to lose their tops. We will drill the holes and use weldless fittings. Sweet!

grats! thats great turnaround time! , what did they run you?

Back