soil PH meter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammer one

Reaction score
I was at the local Home Depot today and they have battery operated PH meters for soil. Can these be used for checking mash PH?

probably just want to see what its accuracy and sensitive range is... I suppose its possible that it could be thrown off by the large amount of sugars in wort?

I wonder if it would be worth my time to pick one up and check it against a paper strip tester. Home Depot has a good return policy if it's way off. I was just wondering if anyone has given one of these meters a test. I'm sure I'm not the only one to think about using one.

sounds like an experiment worth doing. make sure to benchmark it against a beer-specific test strip that "magnifies" the scale accross the range of pH associated with beer. how much is the home depot device?

Let us know if it's a winner!

I have one and I've used it on two mashes. I got what I feel are strange results. I actually did an acid rest, and the ph INCREASED both times during the rest according to my meter. :confused: I don't know how temperature plays with the accuracy but I take my readings with a grain of salt and I'm not sure I'll use it in a mash anymore. I didn't get it at Home Depot, though; probably a different model.

Back