Help!! Need advice soon!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahoffman565

Reaction score
I came home from work today to quite a site! My 6.8 gallon carboy was FILLED to the brim with Krausen! I've never gotten such vigorous fermentation like this before. The wort is beginning to bubble right through the airlock (see picutres). Should I be concerned? What, if anything, do I need to do?

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

6.8Gallon.jpg

Airlock.jpg

Looks like a real nice and healthy fermentation!

Got a blow-off tube handy?

Remove the top of that 3 pce. airlock and attach a hose to the middle pce of the airlock and put the other end of the hose in a container of water(blow off tube). The better way is to get(I think its a 1 1/4") hose and insert that sanitized hose into the top of the carboy and that is the best blow off hose.

racking hose will work. If it will fit into the stopper, shove it in their and put the other end in a bottle.

I would keep an eye on it if you do use the racking hose because its such a small tube and could get clogged just as easily. Other than that everything looks perfectly normal.

Easiest way to mitigate a real blow off is to give that carboy a gentle rocking back and forth a few times. That will knock down much of the (yeast rich) krausen back into the wort.

Do it gently so as not to aerate the wort.

She is ready to Blow!!! :)

Really though you need to rig a blow off hose stat or you run the risk of beer on the walls and ceiling in your closet. (It happens just ask).

If you can fit the racking hose into the rubber bung that will work yo. You may have to roll the end of the hose a bit to get it started into the bung. Sanitize it well after working with before you insert bung back into carboy!

Whew! I think I'm good... I found my 2nd airlock and stopper. I sanitized them and made a quick switch. The majority of the krausen seemed to subside - it just still looks full as it's stuck on the inside. Good thing I'm working from home tomorrow...that way I can keep an eye on it.

Thanks for all the help!

Andrew

Latest posts

Back