2013 NHC in Philly! Who's going?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

step

Reaction score
Just wondering how many HBT'ers are attending this year's conference.

I plan to bring a few west coast beers and would love to share them with my fellow members. I'm thinking maybe at the "social club" before pro-night like maybe 4:30 or so.

Cheers:mug:

Bruclear will be there. Here is our serving table we made. We will be running two of the three liberty wells at 2 on Thursday. Stop by for some brew. I will have a ecy20 wild ale and a Russian imperial stout on.

ForumRunner_20130609_135512.png

I'll be there with my wonderful wife. Plan is to get to Phili weds. Tired Hands and maybe Forest & Main are the two places I really want to go outside the conference. Looking forward to loading up on growlers at both.

Lots of good breweries for Pro night, I think the can't miss ones will depend on who brings what. Allagash small batch stuff is always a favorite of mine.

Kane's from NJ is doing some great things as well. I live outside Philly and can confirm that Tired Hands & Forest and Main are def worth checking out. FYI for Tired Hands though they will not fill other breweries growlers unless you cover the logo with duct tape.

I'm going to the BN party Wednesday night. I think the BJCP judge's reception is in the afternoon. Otherwise, I'm going to try to do my best to be a "beer tourist" when we're not in events.

Anybody who wants to meet up while we're there, PM me for my phone number so we can make sure to share a beer or three.

Kane's from NJ is doing some great things as well. I live outside Philly and can confirm that Tired Hands & Forest and Main are def worth checking out. FYI for Tired Hands though they will not fill other breweries growlers unless you cover the logo with duct tape.

I was wondering about that. What size growlers do they do? 750s and 2L?

Thanks for the tip on Kane. Looks like they're open friday evening and saturday afternoon only. Any good bottle shops to look for them at?

Yooper since you have been there before... what should first timers be looking for? avoid? etc?

Oh, it's all great fun! You don't ever have to leave the hotel, unless you want to!

A couple of things to remember- drink water! Eat. (I always forget that "eat" part, so this time I'm bringing more healthy snacks for my room).

There is beer served from somewhere around 9 AM until 2 AM so slow down and enjoy- there is plenty to go around. The Probrewer's night is fun, but Club Night really is the highlight of the weekend. Some of the clubs go all out with themes, decorations, and great beer, and it's a sight to behold. The seminars start around 9 AM, and there are usually three choices so get your schedule and plan on the ones you want. Many are repeated, in case two are at the same time that you'd like to see.

There is a "first time attendees" guide on the AHA conference website, and that really helps you get familiar with the schedule and what's going on.

Bruclear will be there. Here is our serving table we made. We will be running two of the three liberty wells at 2 on Thursday. Stop by for some brew. I will have a ecy20 wild ale and a Russian imperial stout on.

How did you guys get your confirmation of serving? We can't get a straight answer. Must be some PA favoritism ;-)

I will be there with another brewing need from Milwaukee. First time for both of us.

I wasn't planning on bringing any beer, but maybe I should? How much do you guys normally bring?

I think the guy I am coming in with has a thursday pass, but I was on the wrong end of the waiting list. Is there anything going on outside the conference on Thursday?

Thanks for the tip on Kane. Looks like they're open friday eveningoand saturday afternoon only. Any good bottle shops to look for them at?

Couple good bottle shops

Foodery in the city
Pinnochios(pinbeer.com), my fav
Wegmans has a good selection

Fav resturants, Belgium cafe and eulogy

I will be there with another brewing need from Milwaukee. First time for both of us.

I wasn't planning on bringing any beer, but maybe I should? How much do you guys normally bring?

I think the guy I am coming in with has a thursday pass, but I was on the wrong end of the waiting list. Is there anything going on outside the conference on Thursday?

Bring some New Glarus and you will make a lot of new friends. Serendipity and Raspberry Tart is the tits when it's so hard to get.

This'll be my first NHC and I'm very excited. Philly is a great beer town.

Will be serving at Club Night with our local club (Albany Brew Crafters). I'm bringing a couple of kegs with me to share.

i'll be there, speaking on Friday & pouring a keg of home-hopped extra pale ale, and also pouring beer at the DC Homebrewers Club table on club night. i'll be coming in on Wednesday for BNA-8.

really, really looking forward to this :D

Pulled some tricks

As if the AHA needed anymore strikes against them, they "lost" our application to pour at the liberty well and never put us down. Here were are begging our members to brew beers for NHC for the past 6 months and wah wah, sorry, leave them home guys!

We have the emails to prove that we confirmed our interest in pouring months ago. Way to go AHA!

As if the AHA needed anymore strikes against them, they "lost" our application to pour at the liberty well and never put us down. Here were are begging our members to brew beers for NHC for the past 6 months and wah wah, sorry, leave them home guys!

We have the emails to prove that we confirmed our interest in pouring months ago. Way to go AHA!

We have two tables on thursday, I could ask if we could give you guys one of them.

Thanks for the tip on Kane. Looks like they're open friday evening and saturday afternoon only. Any good bottle shops to look for them at?

TH sells 1L & 2L growlers ... not sure if they fill any other sizes. I'd recommend searching for them on Facebook and sending a message. They seem to be on top of their FB page so you'd probably hear back pretty quickly.

To be fair, it would be the local committee, not the AHA, that screwed that up. I think...

Couple good bottle shops

Foodery in the city
Pinnochios(pinbeer.com), my fav
Wegmans has a good selection

Fav resturants, Belgium cafe and eulogy

Pinocchios is like an hour drive from the hotel, Wegman's probably is to. No attendees should driving that far outside of the city for a bottle shop, there are tons of equally as good if not better options downtown.

The Foodery has an awesome selection though, they have 3 locations of which I am partial to the 2nd St location in Northern Liberties. But buyer beware, prices are steep!

Pinocchios is like an hour drive from the hotel, Wegman's probably is to. No attendees should driving that far outside of the city for a bottle shop, there are tons of equally as good if not better options downtown.

The Foodery has an awesome selection though, they have 3 locations of which I am partial to the 2nd St location in Northern Liberties. But buyer beware, prices are steep!

But if people are driving in.

If you are coming up 95, total wine in claymont Delaware is good too.

Tired Hands growlers are 1L and 2L. They do not bottle (aside from special releases) so you won't find their beers in any bottle shops. Same pretty much goes for Kane, you won't find bottles of it and will only find it on tap at their brewery and a few select bars in Kane's vicinity, it's basically impossible to find Kane's outside of NJ, even here in PA.

Word of warning for those who are planning on going to Tired Hands. The US Open is town and is very very close to Tired Hands so the traffic jams are horrible till next week.

Oh and there is a small bottle shop the next street over from Tired Hands called The Bottle Shoppe.

Hope this helps.

My wife and I will be there, probably mid afternoon on Thursday. Looking forward to it. This will be our first time.

Unfortunately on Sat, we have a wedding back home so we'll be getting up EARLY, to come to the morning wedding, and then driving back down for Sat. evening.

I'll be there as a first timer. Very much looking forward to it. As to the first posters questions about not to miss breweries. I can't speak to all the ones on that list but a couple that I like quite a bit:

Iron Hill - Really well made beers and one of the first brew pubs in DE back when I was in school there (now expanded to PA also). They are getting noticed at the GABF. As far as I know you can't get their beer outside of one of their pub locations.

DuClaw - Maryland Brewery that as far as I know is only sold fairly locally. Some real nice pales (and IPAs) brewed with southern hemisphere hops. Also some creative flavor combos and barrel aged projects

Stewart's - Another of the first wave of brew pubs in Northern DE. I don't think their beer is as good as Iron Hill's but it's worth a taste and to my knowledge they are not sold outside the brewpub.

I'm not familiar with Evil Genius - but since they are just up the road in PA and sell into DE - I plan to get familiar really quickly - I will report my findings...

See you all there!

Greg

is it worth planning out what talks to go to in advance? also, does anyone have the neat and easy to read talk schedule?

Back