Fruit Beer Watermelon Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've noticed 2-3 weeks in the bottle and the bitter/rind taste really mellows out. Drinkign one as I type this.

ForumRunner_20130503_195151.jpg

Johnnyhamer said:
I've noticed 2-3 weeks in the bottle and the bitter/rind taste really mellows out. Drinkign one as I type this.

Ok cool..your a lucky man drinking one. However the day I get back from Mexico, my beer should be ready! So hopefully it will be the perfect ending to the trip.

Enjoy your trip. Don't drink the water, just lots of cerveza. I'm done with homebrew for tonight. I have

ForumRunner_20130503_223232.jpg

I plan on brewing this soon. What do you think of using danish lager yeast with this recipe? I will have a yeast cake of it soon, not sure if i should use it or stick with ale yeast

A buddy's brother tried this and asked if I would sell him 6. Unfortunately it's all gone but will certainly be brewing it asap.

Johnnyhamer said:
A buddy's brother tried this and asked if I would sell him 6. Unfortunately it's all gone but will certainly be brewing it asap.

I've got a lot of friends interested in trying this batch. I feel like I'm only going to get a 12 pack for myself. I need to make bigger batches but my kettle only holds 8 gallons. Stupid apartment size is hindering my process here.

So, I've read through all 29 pages of this thread and I am so completely psyched to try this recipe at the end of this month (hopefully will see some good watermelons at the market by the time I need the juice.) But... my space situation is limited and I can only do partial mash recipes.

I downloaded the trial version of Brewsmith and plugged in all the numbers from Dubbel Dach's v5.0 recipe on his website and then clicked 'Convert', made it into a Partial Mash in a 'Pot (4 Gal) - Extract'. The program did all the math and gave me the following:
http://imgur.com/0WKwM4p

Is this correct? It upped the Cara-Pils to 1lb 0.7oz and the hops to 0.64oz (why?). Also, it's giving me Wheat Liquid Extract, but I'd rather use Dry... what is the correct amount of Dry extract to use?

I'll send you a recipe when I get home. Google "homebrew calculator" and check the first link

Hey Johnnyhamer,

I checked out Brewer's Friend's calculator, but it doesn't have a converter. I remember doing this manually a few years back, but it's been 2 years since I've brewed seriously.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Hey Johnnyhamer,

I checked out Brewer's Friend's calculator, but it doesn't have a converter. I remember doing this manually a few years back, but it's been 2 years since I've brewed seriously.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

I usually go 3# of dme for 3.3# of lme. It's inexact so plug numbers in the calculator until you get a suitable abv. You could do this recipe anywhere between 4-6% and have a goof beer.

I agree with upping the carapils. I went by the recipe and head wasn't that great.

Well it's been 3 days since I've bottled my watermelon ale and I can already notice one HUGE difference! Attached in this is a picture of my watermelon beer bottled and my previous batch of my light ale(aka failed pumpkin ale). The clarity of my watermelon beer is amazing and I guess it's because of the whirlfloc tablet I added during the last 15 of the boil. That is soooo cool. I can't wait till the 25th to try it!

image-653934764.jpg

image-2632659412.jpg

Well it's been 3 days since I've bottled my watermelon ale and I can already notice one HUGE difference! Attached in this is a picture of my watermelon beer bottled and my previous batch of my light ale(aka failed pumpkin ale). The clarity of my watermelon beer is amazing and I guess it's because of the whirlfloc tablet I added during the last 15 of the boil. That is soooo cool. I can't wait till the 25th to try it!

Awesome! I didn't use anything to clarify and started drinking after about 5 days. My clarity wasn't great but the taste was. I might up the carapils next time.

Johnnyhamer said:
Awesome! I didn't use anything to clarify and started drinking after about 5 days. My clarity wasn't great but the taste was. I might up the carapils next time.

The recommended month of waiting isn't necessary? I'm getting excited..

So I decided to try it after 5 days. It's good decent carbonation..a nice strong bitter taste and only a hint of watermelon..I added 6 cups plus 4oz of extract and the flavor is not coming through as strong as I hoped. It's still a good beer, but a beer first and bitter second and watermelon third in my eyes.

Attached are my beta beer label as the beautiful look through the glass..I took other pictures with my canon si but didn't upload them yet

image-627456588.jpg

image-1559852391.jpg

What do folks think about adding a little lactose sugar before bottling?

My SWMBO would like it more if it had a touch of sweetness to enhance the watermelon flavor.

I messed up big time..I've created an IPA that smells fruity. Unfortunate my stupid rookie-news is still following me. When I purchased all the ingredients I bought 5 ounces of hops instead of .5 ounces.

Long story short I have many IPAs I need to get rid if because I want to brew this one over again because I'd like to make ONE beer correctly!! Smh

I messed up big time..I've created an IPA that smells fruity. Unfortunate my stupid rookie-news is still following me. When I purchased all the ingredients I bought 5 ounces of hops instead of .5 ounces.

Long story short I have many IPAs I need to get rid if because I want to brew this one over again because I'd like to make ONE beer correctly!! Smh

How much hops did you use for boil and dry hop?

Johnnyhamer said:
How much hops did you use for boil and dry hop?

I was an ass and used all 5 oz during the boil. At least now I can see how it was be rich of watermelon flavor with only a HALF OUNCE!!

Johnnyhamer said:
Holy S! 5 or 10 gallon?

Lol 5 gallon. For As much as I used its not THAT bad..it's bitter bit I like IPA's so it's not a total washout..

I'm about to brew this again but only have S-04 on hand. Will it be nasty if fermented at 68 or should I wait a day for US-05?

Johnnyhamer said:
I'm about to brew this again but only have S-04 on hand. Will it be nasty if fermented at 68 or should I wait a day for US-05?

What are those? S-04 us-05?

S-04 is a dry English yeast. It supposedly leaves more of a bready chewy character. US-05 is an american strain that ferments very clean(when at the right temps) US-05 is my "go-to."

I just ordered us-05 with my order. No sense being cheap. Going to be brewing this again tomorrow.

I brewed again last night using 4# wheat lme, 3.5# 2-row and carapils.
Almost an oz of MT. Hood @60 and 1/8oz of cascade @5(old leftovers.)

Hoping to have this bottle conditioned and drinkable by June 8th.

Fermenting @68 for a few days then bringing it up to 70-72. Hoping the melon hides any off flavors the yeast(us-05) may produce at that temp. Wort tasted awesome. Between the wheat lme and carapils head retention should be improved.

Mashing as we speak - looks like a great summer beer for my sons 4th bday party in three weeks! Thx

I'm gonna take a shot at this in a couple weeks, with the 8 cups of juice, no extract method, since I can always add that to the keg if needed. Two questions that I didn't find an answer to in the thread thus far (that or I missed them).

1. Have people been using a 90 minute boil? I've never made a beer with any significant portion of Pilsner malt that I did not boil less than 90 minutes, but I see no mention of it from anyone who has made this.

2. Has anyone scooped the watermelon, cut it up, froze it, thawed it then juiced it? I've read numerous sources that claim this enhances the fruit flavor and aroma when adding to the base beer, due to the freezing breaking open the cells walls of the fruit.

I'm gonna take a shot at this in a couple weeks, with the 8 cups of juice, no extract method, since I can always add that to the keg if needed. Two questions that I didn't find an answer to in the thread thus far (that or I missed them).

1. Have people been using a 90 minute boil? I've never made a beer with any significant portion of Pilsner malt that I did not boil less than 90 minutes, but I see no mention of it from anyone who has made this.

2. Has anyone scooped the watermelon, cut it up, froze it, thawed it then juiced it? I've read numerous sources that claim this enhances the fruit flavor and aroma when adding to the base beer, due to the freezing breaking open the cells walls of the fruit.

I know a lot of people freeze their fruits when using them whole but not sure if doing it will improve the fruit for juicing. Might give it a try when I transfer today. Don't think it could hurt anything.

Latest posts

Back