Forgive me for thinking this is awesome/Brewing in cold weather.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
uhhh, yea... cold. ;)

I'll brew all winter here in MN. I just leave the door cracked in the garage, the burner usually warms it up a bit.

Dipped into the low 30s here on Sunday night's brew.

image-2522379429.jpg

image-4151541234.jpg

Awesome. That would be cool if this turned into a thread with pictures of people brewing in cold weather. I'm sure some of you northerners have some amazing pics and video of this.

I'm originally from Ohio. Trust me, I know how silly it sounds. :D

If you live out here for 6 years though 110° isn't that bad and anything below 60° is "cold". :)

Ya well you haven't lived in AR then, where the humidity is 110% in the summer. I stayed in Cincinatti for a bit where my little girl was getting a liver transplant at Children's Hospital, definately know when winter time comes there.

I love brewing in the winter here, everything cools down faster, it's not melting hot, love seeing the steam coming off the kettle too. I do usually run my sanitize water in the house though, cuz it's so cold out of the hose outside I hate putting my hands in it.

Ya well you haven't lived in AR then, where the humidity is 110% in the summer. I stayed in Cincinatti for a bit where my little girl was getting a liver transplant at Children's Hospital, definately know when winter time comes there.

I love brewing in the winter here, everything cools down faster, it's not melting hot, love seeing the steam coming off the kettle too. I do usually run my sanitize water in the house though, cuz it's so cold out of the hose outside I hate putting my hands in it.

I've been in the south in the Summer. Eff that noise.

Still 80's during the day here. Going to be a typical tropical Christmas down here - ugh.

Brewing in the cold is fine with me, but cleaning up sucks. I use a hose in the back yard, and if it's below 60 I hate it. Fortunately it usually isn't :)

You don't truly know what heat and humidity is until you spend a summer in Houston, TX where I grew up.

That said I prefer humid summers to cold winters any day. Here in VA it can get into the teens some nights in January but usually it's only around 30 at night in dead winter. Plenty of nice 50-60 degree days for brewing even in January. I do appreciate the colder groundwater helping my wort chiller out!

COLD? That's cute...

But seriously, cool pic. A friend and I brewed two batches 3 weeks ago and it was in the 20's. Lots of steam (and homebrew) to warm us up!

Living on the West side of Michigan is pretty humid in July and August as well. And I've experienced humidity in Houston. Pretty comparable IMHO.

Try the Texas panhandle. 139F in the friggin shade,hot wind blowin all the time. 143 out in the sun. It's about 47F right now,& I'm about 3.5M from the shore of Lake Erie. Just inside the edge of the snow belt. Big bad a$$ storm buried MN,All we're gettin is cold wind & rain. Oh darn.

I'm brewing next week in the garage. I don't need to keep the drinkin' beer in the fridge anymore. Everywhere in garage is a fridge, everywhere outside is a freezer.

I live in Arizona and haven't really brewed much when it's cold. I noticed all of the steam coming off of my kettle during the boil and this just looks awesome.

http://s49.beta.photobucket.com/user/drummingforchrist/media/IMG_0089_zpsecccc83b.mp4.html

Hello dfc fellow Arizonian, IDK what anyone says your right its getting cold here, and below 50 deg and its like the cold just cuts right through your cloths here, its cold enough that I had to stop driving the dune buggy to the store, Nice Pic BTW.

Cheers :mug:

Try the Texas panhandle. 139F in the friggin shade,hot wind blowin all the time. 143 out in the sun. It's about 47F right now,& I'm about 3.5M from the shore of Lake Erie. Just inside the edge of the snow belt. Big bad a$$ storm buried MN,All we're gettin is cold wind & rain. Oh darn.

That's a joke right. It's never been 139F in Texas. Either the thermometer was in the sun, the thermometer was broken, or my sarcasm meter is off.

wanted to brew today, but the high was 52 and windy. didn't wanna stay out there in that. supposed to be 64 tomorrow. i can do that :D

That's a joke right. It's never been 139F in Texas. Either the thermometer was in the sun, the thermometer was broken, or my sarcasm meter is off.

That was the temps when I was last through there in 1974. Out in the middle of nowhere. Flat,hot,& windy. Road side rest stop with some RR tracks behind it.
Today,here in NE Ohio,it's still windy but down to 33F. Was raining yesterday,snowed a bit overnight.

That was the temps when I was last through there in 1974. Out in the middle of nowhere. Flat,hot,& windy. Road side rest stop with some RR tracks behind it.
Today,here in NE Ohio,it's still windy but down to 33F. Was raining yesterday,snowed a bit overnight.

That thermometer either spent time in the sun, or it was way off. Highest recorded temp in Texas ever was 120* in 1934. There's no way it was randomly 19* hotter somewhere. Highest temp temp recorded in North America is 134*

It gets that hot in the sun, no doubt. The asphalt here in Phoenix hits 160* or higher. It's not pleasant. But that's with a shade temp of 110-115

scottland said:
That thermometer either spent time in the sun, or it was way off. Highest recorded temp in Texas ever was 120* in 1934. There's no way it was randomly 19* hotter somewhere. Highest temp temp recorded in North America is 134*

It gets that hot in the sun, no doubt. The asphalt here in Phoenix hits 160* or higher. It's not pleasant. But that's with a shade temp of 110-115

+1, gotta call bullish!t on that claim for the Texas panhandle. I spent a few weeks in Texas during the summer of '83 and I agree it can be miserable, but Death Valley, California holds the record at 134F.

I have a winter brewing party I'm hosting tomorrow and I feel pretty fortunate that the high is 29*. Could be way worse for MN in Dec. That said, I remember a summer ago here when the heat index here was higher anywhere other than in the rainforest.

Edit: I take that back. On that day it was hotter and more humid than anywhere in the world at the time:
http://www.startribune.com/blogs/125847178.html I totally went for a three mile run that day! It sucked...

Anyways, we have a right to complain about the whether. Hot or cold.

+1, gotta call bullish!t on that claim for the Texas panhandle. I spent a few weeks in Texas during the summer of '83 and I agree it can be miserable, but Death Valley, California holds the record at 134F.

Well,that's what the thermometers at that middle of nowhere roadside rest stop said regardless. True story whether wrong or what. But New Mexico was pretty much the same. I thought it was kinda funny that some drove what looked like pos cars,but by God,that A/C worked!

10 degrees last time I brewed. Sucked because the steam built up so bad I could not see the pot or how the boil was going. Had to set up a fan to blow the steam out just to see and brother having a fan going when it is 10 degrees is just dang cold.

Ground water this time of year though is pretty cold and cooling the wort down does not take very long

As I'm checking my HBT threads, eating my eggs on spent grain toast, and sipping coffee, it's a balmy -43 this morning. I'm not brewing until January 4 for my Caribrewsary - may have to do at least part of the boil outside if it's really cold.

As I'm checking my HBT threads, eating my eggs on spent grain toast, and sipping coffee, it's a balmy -43 this morning. I'm not brewing until January 4 for my Caribrewsary - may have to do at least part of the boil outside if it's really cold.

^Winner

10 degrees last time I brewed. Sucked because the steam built up so bad I could not see the pot or how the boil was going. Had to set up a fan to blow the steam out just to see and brother having a fan going when it is 10 degrees is just dang cold.

Ground water this time of year though is pretty cold and cooling the wort down does not take very long

I salute you sir, much more dedicated than I. I'm not sure what it would feel like outside if it were 10 degrees, but I know I wouldn't be brewing, especially with a damn fan!! We'd be drinking Sam Adam's and Shiner all Christmas long here.

Back