Easy Belgian Style Wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vegas20s

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
T-58
Yeast Starter
no
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
gold
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
It is the best beer I\'ve brewed to date.
Ingredients
Wheat DME 7 lbs
2lbs Belgian Pilsner
1lbs Flaked Oats
1lbs Flaked Wheat

.5 Oz Glena Pellets @60 min

.5 oz Bitter Orange
Orange zest (one and a half large oranges)
.5 oz dried crushed coriander (should bring out more orange flavor )
¼ oz paradise seed

add spices @15 min

(2) safbrew t-58 dry yeast pack

Estimated OG: 1.0585-1.0594
Estimated FG: 1.0146-1.0148
Estimate ABV: 5.7-5.9%
Estimated IBU: 16.7

Directions
Prepare fresh orange peel,bitter orange peel, paradise seed and coriander and set aside. Mini Mash grains 1.3 Gallons of water at 150º F for 60 minutes. Sparge grains in 1.3 Gallons of water at 175º F for 10 minutes. Combine wort in brew pot and heat to 200º F. Remove from heat and stir in the malt extract. Heat 1 quart of water in a separate pot to rinse out extract container (Disregard if using DME). Resume heating and bring the wort to a boil for 45 minutes (Follow hops scheduling chart below). Add the orange peels, paradise seed and coriander for the last 10-15 minutes of the boil.
Remove from heat and cool wort to 95º F degrees via ice bath, wort cooler or what ever your preferred method is. Remove hops and add wort to a sanitary fermenter topping off with bottled water to 7 gallons. Desired wort temperature is 75º F. Aerate wort and pitch yeast. Allow the beer to cool over the next few hours to 68–70º F, and ferment for 10–14 days. Bottle your beer, age for two to three weeks and enjoy!

Hops Schedule
Weight (oz.) Alpha Acid (%) Boil Time (min)
Glena Pellets .5 12 45

Just an update. This was probably my best brew to date I will brew again.

Ahoy, Just wanted to say that I'm brewing your recipe at this very moment. Your numbers are a tad high for the style so I adjusted them down slightly. Otherwise I'm doing it as advertised. I'll report back when finished.

Finished up. I think I over did it on the orange zest by about half an orange. Probably will end up being a great summer beer. Oh well!

Did yours end up taking 10-14 days to fully ferment or were you just being cautious? Just curious.

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.

I always go for at least 2 weeks in the primary in not more.

Here is a good explanation why.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter8-2.html

I will tell you that this brew was much better after 2 months in the bottles and it was probably my most popular among my friends.

So how is this tasting?

PS please rate the thread if you like the out come ;)

Will do. I'm at 15 days today. A lot of the suspendeds have dropped out, but I'm gonna throw it in the fridge and cold crash till Saturday, then bottle. I can tell you the wart was delicious so I'm hoping for a really good brew.

Going to make this one today probably any more on how it turned out? When you say less orange do you mean less than the recipe calls for? I made a orange clove wheat before, but it didnt turn out all that well. I am hoping this will be a little bit more normal of a beer.

I made this yesterday. The only thing i messed up on was thinking it was a 5gal batch lol. So I didnt use all the wort and got it to about 1.056 OG. Smells great, fermentation is going crazy! Had to put a blow off tube on it.

I made this yesterday. The only thing i messed up on was thinking it was a 5gal batch lol. So I didnt use all the wort and got it to about 1.056 OG. Smells great, fermentation is going crazy! Had to put a blow off tube on it.

Sorry about that.

Just so happens my first fermneter was a 7 gallons and me being the cheapskate that I am can not let those extra 2 gallons of brew space go to waste.

Let us know how it turns out.

FYI: the amount of orange that goes in this is going to be a preference thing. The next time I brew this I will up the zest by 1 to 1.5 oranges.

I am happy with the taste so far. It took me a bit to get it on tap. I just put it in my keg 2 days ago haha. Some reason when I poured a glass there were some black specks floating in it, any idea what that could be?

Bottling is my only set up right now. From what I understand you want to rack to a secondary before you keg to let as much yeast and sediment drop out as possible.

I would probably say black specs would be spices that made their way into the keg.

That is only a guess thought I've never seen black specs make it into my bottles.

Ya i figured they must be the coriander or paridise seed. It sat in a secondary for 2 months while i was emptying my last beer from my keg lol

Well you did every thing you could and it sounds like the spices still made there way into the keg. Hope it does not ruin it for you. Personally I haven't met a beer I didn't like.

So I have had it in my keg for a bit now and am really enjoying it. I think i went a little easier on the spices than the original recipe. I have to say when drinking this you must throw an orange slice in It. It brings out all the flavor and tastes amazing. Great job and thanks for sharing.

So I have had it in my keg for a bit now and am really enjoying it. I think i went a little easier on the spices than the original recipe. I have to say when drinking this you must throw an orange slice in It. It brings out all the flavor and tastes amazing. Great job and thanks for sharing.

Most definitely needs the orange. Thanks for the comments.

So I tried a similar recipe using 50/50 extra light LME and Wheat LME.

It turned out super light. I think the 100% wheat DME works better. More flavor for what ever reason.

Hey, this is look easy to brew.
I always prefer the Belgian ale style, this is interesting and I think I will brew some day.

So I brewed this up yesterday. Scaled it down to a 5 gallon batch and slightly changed a couple of things.
6lbs wheat LME
1.5lbs Pilsen
.75lbs flaked oats
.75lbs flaked wheat
2lbs amber LME (had it leftover from another batch, so I just through it in)
.5oz gelina 60 min
.5oz coriander seed 15 min
2 grams seeds of paradise 15 min
1oz bitter orange peel 15 min
1oz sweet orange peel 15 min
1 wirloft tablet 15 min

Steeped grains at 150 for 30 min. Then right to the boil. My O.G. Is 1.070.

I'll keep everyone posted on how it turns out.

Hey folks. Newby here. What the heck is a sweet orange and a bitter orange? And how do you prep them?
Thanks. Sounds pretty damn good!

They are dried orange peels that you can get them from your home brew supplier. Their names say it all bitter adds a bitter flavor sweet adds a sweet flavor. Personally I think both do more for aroma than they do for flavor. You would generally use them with the flavor hop addition around 15 min until end of boil. If you don't want to spend the money on the bitter or sweet orange you can use orange zest from store bought oranges. I am no expert but I was warned to stay away from the white pith when using store bough oranges. That being said I know some that throw the whole orange into the boil after squeezing the juice in.

Have fun and please rate my recipe using the stars at the posts if you end up brewing.

Back