Sub Panel Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisMichels

Reaction score
My breaker box is full, so I will need to run a sub panel to supply power to my brewery.

I have a douple pole 30amp breaker in my main panel now that runs our electric dryer. I plan on removing the 30amp, and replace it with a 50 amp. I will then run the power from the 50amp to the sub panel and place both the 30amp for the dryer, and a 50 amp for the brewery. (Only one will run at a time, obviously)

My question is, does the GFI breaker need to be the breaker in the sub, or the breaker in the main?

I believe that most codes call for GFCI in all wet locations, either plug or breaker. So, I would say main. This gets the dryer and Brewery with one breaker. Although 2 smaller ones may be cheaper.
I presume that you have an electric brew set up, and this is not just to run the lights or peripheral equipment. I know you said that your breaker box is full but they sell all manner of breakers now. 1/2 thickness, double, etc. As long as you're not out pf amps, you could use an alternative style. Just something to think about. I'm sure one of the Sparkys on here can help you with this. Luck - Dwain

I was hoping to run tandem breakers to free up 2 poles for a 50 amp in the main, but my current panel does not accommodate the tandem breakers. I'm working on an electric brewery now, and the power is the most important part. I will be running two 5500 watt elements (one at a time) and a 1500 watt element through a rims tube controlled by the brewtroller. It will also be powering a pump, and an exhaust fan(i may run this on a different circuit). So far I have the elements, the brewtroller, and a version 1 sabco brewmagic to work with. I've got a ways to go yet.

Chris, this is the most important part of the brewery.

First, what size is the Main? Would you be exceeding the rating of the Main by installing a 100A breaker as a sub-main in the sub panel then having the 30A and 50A breakers as distribution breakers? You would then have them both available.

This stuff gets expensive real fast when you start talking upgrading your Main and the feed from the Utility (metering).

Also, be sure to follow Code when you do this or have a licensed electrician do the work. That keeps you homeowners insurance in force.

The path:

50A breaker in mains panel > wiring to sub panel

Then from the sub panel:
>> 30a breaker > existing dryer outlet
>> 50A GFCI > to new brewery outlet

I have 100 amp service =(

My main is qo120m100 service panel. The sticker detailing the information of the breaker box was covered with a sticker by the last homeowner. I definitely don't have the power available to run a 100 amp breaker at the main to get the 30 and 50 going at the same time. I pretty much have to live with only running a few things at a time with my whimpy service. I'm trying with all my might to not have to upgrade my service.

You will be fine with the layout I just posted. It can be fairly inexpensive if you choose the sub panel wisely.

For instance you can secure THIS spa panel and use it as your sub panel.

I was looking at that P-J. Will that Spa panel accommodate another double pole breaker?

Thanks for the help so far guys.

Here is a peek inside a similar panel that I drew for another application:

power-panel-2.jpg

I messed with my drawing to show exactly what I mean.

Hope this helps:

power-panel-3.jpg

Edit: I realized I misplaced the lower breaker - so - I fixed it.

P-J said:
What?

Now you have my curiosity. Ask away, PM'ing me works also.

I was going to ask a question about using romex from the main. Since I will be pulling out the wires from the current 30 amp service from the main to the junction (just about where the sub will go), I'm just going to use individual insulated #6 wire. I'm also going to use the existing stuff to pull my new #6 through.

What kind of panel do you have that does not have tandem breakers? I would think you could find slims if not tandems.

Back