Saflager S-23

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max-the-knife

Reaction score
I brewed my first lager last Saturday afternoon, an American Lite (for SWMBO). I had an OG of 1.045, cooled to wort to 59 deg F., and pitched the S-23 yeast. I had activity in the airlock withing 24 hours. I checked the lagerator yesterday (Thursday) afternoon and I have no airlock activity.

I know I need to take a gravity to determine if fermentation is complete, but is it possible that the yeast could be done with major fermentation so soon? I have it sitting in a lagerator at 57-58 deg F.

Thanks in advance for any help forthcoming.

Before you get the chorus of people screaming that the airlock is no indication of fermentation, I just had a batch fermented with w-34/70 that was ready for a d-rest at 6 days. Fermented around 53-55 degrees. It does happen.

Like to know how that s-23 turns out. I've heard it can be a bit fruity, but I have seen it suggested for Czech Pilsners.

I checked the gravity this morning (Thursday, day 12) and it was at a 1.012. It is about 2 points more than what I'd expected but it appears that S-23 did a great job. It tastes good too!

Back