Bacon as an ingredient

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spage

Reaction score
With all the fanfare over bacon vodka, I'd like to see how it fares as a beer ingredient. After all, I have yet to discover anything that bacon cannot do :rockin:

I'm brewing a big (1.110) scotch ale next weekend to let it age all summer, and am considering adding the following (as well as the grain bill):

Peated Malt
Brown Sugar
Applewood-Smoked Bacon
Bourbon-Soaked oak chips (in the secondary)

...I may call it swine-flu-brew.

Has anyone tried flavoring their beer with bacon before? Any recommendations on overcoming the head-retention issue that fatty ingredients seem to pose? I'd love to hear any and all suggestions.

Thanks!

Thanks Revvy!

I thought about possibly soaking the bacon in the bourbon to extract the flavor sans grease...

I'll check out the links you just posted and update this thread as the brew moves forward!

Any recommendations on overcoming the head-retention issue that fatty ingredients seem to pose?

Yeah, don't put it in your beer. Two things brewers want to minimize in beer are protein and fat which are, ta da, the two main components of bacon. Honestly, it is just not a good idea. If you want a bacony flavor try switching out that bituminous flavored peat smoked malt with some wood smoked German malt.

That's almost what I'm thinking at this point... something to the effect of crushing up artificial bacon bits. Or maybe creating bacon-bourbon, and then bacon-bourbon-soaked-oak-chips. More research is to be done...

Hey if bacon can cut steel like butter it should be able to make a fine beer...

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that maybe a strict filtration process of cold-conditioning a bacon/vodka mixture might work. I'm sure you could strain out alot of the protien/fat. Maybe try to balance that with some carapils or something.

Ok, that video was awesome. Behold the power of bacon and macgyver! :rockin:

A butt load of Beechwood smoked malt will give you a similar smokiness, but remember that salt is the predominant flavor in bacon.

Maybe serve a good smoky rauchbier in a salt rimmed glass....with eggs. :D

A buddy of mine recently made a maple-caramel-smoked porter, it was pure heaven.

I like the suggestions on using German Rauch malt as opposed to peated malt.

im not a major brewmaster or anything but how bout this, cover 2-4lbs of bacon, cook down till you have a large amount of bacon grease and liquid, let the liquid sit till it cools and seperates some, take the "bacon broth" away from the grease and use that in a beer, you could also add, brown sugar and liquid hickory smoke to increase the flavor of the beer. this is me talking as a cook more than brewer, but it would seem that this would work.

you could make a bacon broth and chill it and the fat will become solid and you can lift it out or filter it. then go from there.

Back