Floating hops in the secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darkstashcrashes

Reaction score
In total i added about 12oz of cascade hops in the boiling process, and put my left over hops in the primary. My question is this.....

I would like to float some centennial or more cascade in the secondary. Will this effect the taste in anyway? E.g. More hoppy flavour or not, and will it rot or contaminate the secondary in anyway.

Thank you :mug:

Look up information on "Dry Hopping". It will affect the taste and give it a more prominent flavor of whatever you're adding at that stage. Adding hops at that stage won't contaminate the beer because the alcohol in the beer should kill whatever bacteria is put in at that point.

Almost every IPA is dry hopped, the process you describe. They'll gradually sink to the bottom over a week or so and you can rack to your keg. As Pat mentioned, it's harder to contaminate the secondary, but hops in general are antiseptic. That's part of the history of IPA's.

What is better for dry hopping, leaf or pellet?

ambiguous....do your research! There are plenty of threads on here about this very same thing. Whole hops soak up more beer but tend to give better flavor in my oppinion. However due to loss of finished product and ease of cleaning, i always use pellets. They have higher utilization and they also tend to keep better in the freezer....

Yeah I like pellets just because I hate the wort loss from leaf pellets. A lot of people like leaf for dry hopping though.

I don't like to dry hop more than a week. It seems like if I shorten the dry hop to like 4 days it will be less of a grassy flavor.

Back