fermentation temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Action

Reaction score
I am going to brew a 10 ag tomorrow. it is kind of warm here 90+. I have no way to keep my temps down other then a ice water bath. I will be using s-04 Can I get some ideas on a good way to keep cool? I have a big tub and lots of ice.
Thanks Jack

a big tub, and lots of ice.!! put a wet towel over it, the evaporation will cool it a bit.

Yeah just freeze some water bottles and put one or two in the bucket, when they thaw just switch them out.

I'd recommend using a different yeast. S-04 produces a fair amount of esters, even at sub-70 F temps. I'd say mash a little higher and use S-05 or nottingham.

If you have a large enough ice chest that the fermenter will fit in then that holds the cool in better. The "ICE CUBE" ice chest works good if you cut a hole in the top for the neck of a carboy to poke through. If you don't want to ruin one you could insulate a trash can and put it in that. The ice bath only needs to stay at 65F for the better part of 2 weeks and then keg or bottle. Condition at 68 to 70F for 2 weeks ant the beer will be great.

igloo 60 qt. Ice Cube cooler with handle and wheels

I'd recommend using a different yeast. S-04 produces a fair amount of esters, even at sub-70 F temps. I'd say mash a little higher and use S-05 or nottingham.

Really? 75 is the recommended top end per the company.
I have only used the yeast once but didnt notice anything odd (and it fermented around 72-74).

I have had nottingham ferment upwards of 80 and have had no issues, I love that yeast :mug:

I fermented S-04 around 73 F ambient, which means the internal temperature would be more like 76-78. It ended up with some weird higher alcohols and esters reminiscent of a belgian (but not as good). The beer was good, just not what I was shooting for. Getting your internal temp down to the low 70s from 90 degrees ambient will be tough. It is doable, but like I said, I'd choose a more forgiving yeast.

S-04 gets a little funky in the higher temp ranges but around 65 is a pretty good sweet spot for that yeast.

Water bath with frozen 20 oz bottles will keep those temps down just fine.

Back