Making yeast starters frim dry yeast packets.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IanPC

Reaction score
I have 8 kits under my belt and have used both dry packets, liquid, and made starters. However I have not made a starter from dry yeast. Can anyone tell me if all I have to do is rehydrated the yeast and then pitch it to the mini wort, or do it pitch just the dry yeast to the mini wort? All advice is appreciated.

You don´t need to make an starter with dry yeast. Just use more if you need to. The price of buying and extra pack of dry yeast it´s less than the DME you spend to make an starter.

I already have the dme and I don't mind using it. I've read I don't have to however I'm pretty set on doing it. It's a matter of timing in relation to my brew day and being able to get to my lhbs. 2 kids busy sched. Small window for a brew day.

I just made a starter with a pack of Safale -05. I was preparing to make NB's Black IPA which has an OG of 1.075. Mr Malty said I needed 1.2 packs, but all I had was one, so I went ahead and made a starter. Followed the starter guidelines on YeastCalc to make a 1.5 L starter. Pitched it yesterday at 11:30 and had activity in the ferm. bucket by 6 pm.

But, to answer your question, I pitched the dry yeast into a mini-wort. I don't think it would matter, whether or not you pitch it dry or rehydrate.

IanPC said:
I already have the dme and I don't mind using it. I've read I don't have to however I'm pretty set on doing it. It's a matter of timing in relation to my brew day and being able to get to my lhbs. 2 kids busy sched. Small window for a brew day.

It's really not necessary with dry yeast. If you are set on making a starter, go pick up some good liquid yeast and save the dry stuff for emergencies. Cheers!

OK, to actually answer the OP:

Best bet is to treat it like you would an ordinary pitch: for best viability of the dry yeast, go ahead and rehydrate prior to pitching into your starter wort. And, maybe to make up for the additional volume, I might reduce the water you disolve the DME in bye the volume you rehydrate your yeast in... (Just a thought there, not strictly necessary, but it could help avoid a messy overflow!)

Now, for my turn at a little additional advice: before going to the added effort of a starter with dry yeast, make sure you actually need that starter. Typically, they're not needed because a dry yeast packet contains significantly more yeast cells than a liquid yeast vial/smack pack, so you've usually got enough cells to ferment without the need of a starter. Check out the yeast pitching calculator on mrmalty.com if you haven't already, and it'll tell you exactly how many dry yeast packets you need - if the number is more than 1, then go ahead with your starter plans. If it's not, I'd say hold off until another brew with a higher OG. Starters are useful tools, but especially with the busy schedule you described, I wouldn't "waste" the time with one if you don't need it.

I've made small starters for the Cooper's 7g yeast packets before. But only 1-2C of wort for 3-6 hours. I figured it'd get them into the reproductive phase a little faster. They still took several hours to visibly ferment,but it was quite aggressive.

I try and make starters every time.
I know I've got good yeast, I see results quickly, it gives it a good start and it doesn't hurt anything. It's not like I'm going to be over pitching by enough to worry about even in a very low gravity beer.

That being said, yes you are correct.
You boil up the water and add the DME, pitch whatever yeast you are using the same as if it were going into the beer.

Back