And i was all excited - o2 tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elfmaze

Reaction score
I was at an estate sale buying a table saw and saw this guys sitting there for $10. tank regulator. and eww nasal cannula.

IMAG0518.jpg

Was thinking a quick fill and i've got a beer tank! minus disgusting cannula.

But now I read that they are near impossible to fill and a sadness has come over my brewing operation at the letdown. :/

Why would they be so hard to refill? I've known folks that use'em,& they traded them in for full ones. Oe had a spare while the other got filled.

Just take it in to a welding supply store and see if they'll do it. When I take mine in I usually get a different tank than I had before, and I assume they charge the same for the tanks whether it's CO2 or O2, so why woyld they care?

I am reading that you need a RX to get the medical tank filled. I could try talking to my guy at airgas. but I think the regulators are different for welding stuff?

True, some places require a prescription to fill/swap medical tanks. No harm in going by your local filling place and chatting with them. Some places aren't so picky.

Another option that has worked for folks is to chat with your family doc if you have one. Explain what you are doing and ask if they'll wrote you a prescription. Probably needs to be the doctor you've been too for years.

If nothing else, you got the perfect regulator. They make adapters to connect that to a welding tank. You'd need a CGA 540 to CGA 870.

Airgas will fill (swap out) that bad boy for you. There is a retail Airgas 10 miles from your town:

Airgas
121 Stanley Avenue,
Bellmawr, NJ 08031
(866) 718-0685

I had the same issue. After procuring an actual rx for it when I went to get it filled the guy asked what it was for and swapped it with a regular welding o2 tank. All I had to pay was for the fill.

Why in the world do you need an RX to get O2? I get that it's a medical tank. Don't get why that would mean the gas supply shop needs an RX. Do people abuse O2?

Why in the world do you need an RX to get O2? I get that it's a medical tank. Don't get why that would mean the gas supply shop needs an RX. Do people abuse O2?

I could see it. but there have got to be better ways... there were oxygen bars around for a while. and it can kill you with too high a concentration

The 7lb co2 cylinders Beverage Elements sells are re-certified medical o2 tanks with the 540 valve installed (I have 2 of them). So, it is possible to have it changed over, I don't know if it would be worth the hassle. As said earlier, some if the big shops (Airgas) might swap it for a co2 tank for you.

Back