cleaning copper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saskman

Reaction score
I am not sure but should I clean the copper pipe I used to make a manifold the pipe is tarnished its pipe I had for a looooong time and has tarnished if so what do you recommend to clean it.

YES! Verdigris will add metallic flavors to your brew. I use Brasso and follow up with vinegar.

I cant seem to find star san where I am at I have (dont laugh) some pink powder I cant remember what they gal at the brew store called it.

then use a high concentrate of vinegar. the aCID will take tarnish off copper, if you have green tarnish that's verdigris and it needs scrubbing

From what i have read, you may still want to condition your new copper with strong vinegar for 5-10 minutes to clean the surfaces and etch any free metals (e.g. lead) from it. same for brass fittings.

i however just soaked in StarSan for 20 minutes the first time, and everything has seemed to be okay. i'm finding all of this information out about 5 weeks too late :D

i got my StarSan in large bottle from NorthernBrewer, our LHBS carries a pretty small size at a higher price.

white vinegar 50/50 with the hottest water your tap can provide. soak copper for about 5 minutes or until it is visibly clean. rinse good with cool water and dry it as best you can right away to keep it from tarnishing again.

Use Bar Keeper's Friend. Works great! Don't use brasso, unless you clean it REAL well afterward. It's got petroleum distillates, and all sorts of nasty stuff in it. Just smell it!

Verdigris is also toxic. but more importantly, it will give metallic flavors to your beer, so you need to clean it off of your copper.

I soaked my mani in a bleach solution, and white crud formed around the joints. Any idea what that's all about?

I just soldered some copper to put in my keg to extract the wort and it has a black sticky film all over from a label I couldn't fully remove and from the lead free flux.

What would be the best solution to remove ALL this crap? I tried vinegar but it didn't seem strong enough.

Thanks

salt and vinegar solution. rinse with water. you have to use the salt and vinegar together.

Back