100% Brett Rye IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerandloathinginaustin

Reaction score
Looking to give this a shot. Probably 8 gallon batch split on WLP 644 and good ol Brett B 650.

Just threw together 80% 2row, 10% rye, 10% munich in beersmith. Tentatively planning bittering with Columbus & flavor/aroma with Tett & Nelson.

I want to keep it fairly simple. Both want to brew a rye beer & after hearing Chad from Crooked Stave on the BN I'm using the rye to leave a little body.

Any input, tips, tricks for these strains and how I should potentially modify the grain bill?

10% malted rye will leave little rye character in a rye IPA, especially a sour one. It all depends on your preference, of course; my next brew is a (non-soured) rye IIPA with 25% rye -- I like the rye to really talk.

Good to know. Would you bump up the rye at the expense of the 2row, munich, or both?

Also, I'm expecting the Brett to be fairly clean and/or fruity so I'm trying to make the rye present but not THE highlight.

I'd bump up the rye at the expense of the munich, to 15/5 or 20/0. With a bunch of hops and Brett, I don't think the rye will steal the show.

Why Tett in the flavor hop? I've never used it, but it's published characteristics make me think it's an odd choice

I read a few threads on rye beers mentioning that Tett's spice worked well. I thought I'd accentuate spice a little to go along with my Nelson addiction. Also thought of Pac Jade & remembered you got spice out of Merkur. All options.

Merkur sounds like it'd be at home between Columbus & Nelson. Nothing against Tett, just digging that Merkur hop!

Haha! Ok! I'll plan on upping the rye and using Merkur! Although it's tempting to go Centennial/Nelson since I love to combine 12 ideas that should be separate into one brew!

This Bruery White Oak is not bad btw. My coherency however will be questionable in an hour or two. Expect silly messages on all mediums. :p

Ok! Centennial it is! You'll be listed as co-brewer now! :p

Thinking I'll hedge towards 55-60 IBU. For my first split 100% Brett experiment I want an IPA, but I want to get a feel for what Brett brought. Actually considering dropping it down to 45-50 IBU 5.5% pale territory. Session Brett IPA. lol

With the way Brett should dry a beer out, I'm assuming you can go down to even 20-25 IBU and have an IPA feel. Especially going on the session side, don't neglect the late hops though!

LOL! I've never neglected late hops! I dunno how much it'll dry out on one strain. I keep hearing it acts like Sacc if it's primary strain.

The real debate is running it like Sacc and then adding a new Brett strain later on since I'll have the rye proteins for body.

Getting back to the question late, but I'd cut 2 row to make room for rye, personally. Munich is wonderful in IPAs and it will add a nice malt character to the dry sour rye thing you're making.

i am about to do something similar but plan on making about 30 % of the grist wheat. from my understanding and all commercially available beers i have had this beer is not going to be supper attenuated but will have a body closer to a saisson although much cleaner with hints brett funk. i am going to use brett c because i think the tropical notes will go better with all the hops. what gravity are you shooting for just out of my curiosity. i have heard that a big pitch of brett will ferment out a 1.090 beer in about 2 months

+1 on upping the rye, i'd go around 20%, 10% is very subtle. i'd take it away from the 2-row

while tett does go very well with rye, i think your centennal/nelson combo will complement the brett better and still go well with the rye

With the way Brett should dry a beer out, I'm assuming you can go down to even 20-25 IBU and have an IPA feel. Especially going on the session side, don't neglect the late hops though!

100% brett acts very much like sacchro, it doesnt super-attenuate. i usually get 80-85%

I ended up going 78% 2row, 15% rye, 7% light munich. I wanted a touch more than subtle from the rye. Thanks for the input and I will update with how it turns out.

what gravity are you shooting for just out of my curiosity. i have heard that a big pitch of brett will ferment out a 1.090 beer in about 2 months

Low 1.060s. A little higher wouldn't be the end of the world. I want it on the sessionable side & I want to leave a little room in case it crazy attenuates.

The starter of 644 has been rocking out off and on the stir plate for a week now so that should line up with Crooked Stave Chad's recommendation of a 1.048 starter for 8 days.

LOL! I've never neglected late hops! I dunno how much it'll dry out on one strain. I keep hearing it acts like Sacc if it's primary strain.

The real debate is running it like Sacc and then adding a new Brett strain later on since I'll have the rye proteins for body.

It does ferment like Sacc. If you add it after a Sacc strain, you'll have to wait a few months for the Brett. to really come through.

I've done the house strain Brett. from Crooked Stave in IPAs with crystal hops as my finishing/dry hop additions. It was ok, but I am not the biggest fan of Brett. IPAs though. Matter of fact, still don't know why I brewed that beer??:confused:

Thanks for the follow-up on this thread -- Sounds like the beer came out pretty well!

Were you at all concerned about the ph of the mash? I've heard some reports of folks adding a half pound of acid malt and that helping the Brett ferment out. It sounds like you didn't have any trouble in that regard though?

I am putting together an all-brett recipe with wlp650 and would be interested to hear what your experience was. What was the FG?

Ha -- Yeah, I'm not really either. I just recall reading something about acid malt a while back... What is it they say about "a little knowledge" ? :)

Glad to hear that your beer came out alright with a normal ph -- I know folks debate about the merits of buffer 5.2, but I still use it in my brews. After reading this thread last week, I was inspired to finally buy the ingredients for an all-brett belgian rye recipe I've been kicking around for a while. Let me know what you think!

8# Belgian Pils
2.5# Rye Malt
0.5# Cara-Pils

1.5oz Crystal (60)
1.0oz Crystal (15)
0.5oz Crystal (5)

WLP650

Looks good to me. Excited to hear how it turns out. Still haven't used 650 as single strain yet. Haven't been in love with Brett C & Brett B Trois is awesome.

Back