Mountain Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schwagg

Reaction score
I have recently had the itch to make a caffeinated beer a la Drew Carey's Buzz Beer. I found this recipe online for Mountain Brew. It's basically a normal recipe, but the water is (mostly) replaced with Mountain Dew. I just wasn't sure how the extra sugars in the soda will conflict with the extract or the yeast. Has anyone tried anything like this, or does anyone have any suggestions?

Who wants grapefruit flavored beer? Can't you find pure caffeine on the net ? Enough for 96 6oz cups, or more?

According to the description of the recipe, the flavor of the Mountain Dew doesn't really carry over to the beer. Either way, I'm always interested in trying something new...

One of the guys in the Oregon Brew Crew tried using MD & said it was a dumper. He was worried about the preservatives & used a large starter, but it got stuck & nothing he did helped. Obviously, some people have made it work.

casebrew said:
Who wants grapefruit flavored beer?

I do. Its called Cascade hops!!!!!! :)

Actually I LOVE Mt. Dew and when this recipe was printed in BYO I actually thought about doing it.

BTW....I think a correction for the recipe was posted in a later issue.....

Schwagg said:
I have recently had the itch to make a caffeinated beer a la Drew Carey's Buzz Beer. I found this recipe online for Mountain Brew. It's basically a normal recipe, but the water is (mostly) replaced with Mountain Dew. I just wasn't sure how the extra sugars in the soda will conflict with the extract or the yeast. Has anyone tried anything like this, or does anyone have any suggestions?

My wife got me this book called homebrew favorites and it has a caffeine ale on page 59 that i havnt tried yet, but when i make it will make a good conversation beer, but i dont know about the taste though. It will definately wake you up!!!!
here is the recipe

4 pounds of pale malt
1/4 pound of dark brown sugar
1/4 pound of corn sugar
1/4 pound of crystal malt
heres the kicker, 32 vivarin caffeine pills
1 tsp of irish moss
7 AAU of Kent goldings hops, boil for 60min
1/2 ounce of Kent goldings hops, boil 3-5 min
Ringwood ale (cultured)
1/2 cup of corn sugar for priming

Quoting this guys discription is as such

" The caffeine adds a slight extra bitterness which is distinct from the hop bitterness. The beer has a strong stimulatory effect--you may stay up all night with this beer"

david_42 said:
One of the guys in the Oregon Brew Crew tried using MD & said it was a dumper. He was worried about the preservatives & used a large starter, but it got stuck & nothing he did helped. Obviously, some people have made it work.

I tried Joe Middletons (OBC member, big tall guy) Mountian Brew, and it wasnt half bad. Not my kind of beer, but it went down smooth. And oddly, it really tasted quite a bit like Mountian Dew. He actually won the extract competition with that recipe earlier this summer '05(June? July?), if I recall.

He said since that one was so successful that his next experement would be "Code Red Rye" or "Dr. Pepper Porter"!!!!

Joe must have made another batch, he'll work a recipe until it's good. I have a tiny memory of discussing this with him, I believe he was going to add the MD after the krausen formed. Did you try his spruce ale?

An alternative to using actual soda, concentrates. Their regular concentrates are a bit odd in that they use sucrose, corn syrup, acesulfame-K and sucralose. There would be a much higher residual sweetness than for "full sugar" sodas.

I made a Watermelon Wheat once where I substituted the mash and sparge water with all watermelon juice. Didn't cause any problems with fermentation or anything, but I don't know how much sugar is in watermelon juice compared to Mountain Dew.

I recently did a batch of mountain brew at the request of my roomate (i.e. he bought all the ingredients). Granted i adjusted the online recipe slightly, i added 1/2lb crystal 10 and i substituted centennial for bittering and cascade for aroma to suit my NW pale ale tastes :) . Very drinkable, it does have a noticeable MD taste. I guess mine is a NW Mtn Brew

Hi all. I just joined. My variation, I think, was to add a half pound of crystal malt. It took forever to ferment. I had to re-innoculate twice with yeast (I used Nottingham dried), the second time adding a bit of yeast nutrient.

I think it spent about six weeks between the primary and secondary fermenters, combined. I noted that the flavor was very sweet initially but became drier over time. I entered two bottles in the Oregon Brew Crew competition as a joke -- and I can't believe it took first place! I might brew it again, but maybe as an "Irish Code Red," substituting the crystal malt with Melanoidin?

:)

Mitzi_Beefcake said:
Hi all. I just joined. My variation, I think, was to add a half pound of crystal malt. It took forever to ferment. I had to re-innoculate twice with yeast (I used Nottingham dried), the second time adding a bit of yeast nutrient.

I think it spent about six weeks between the primary and secondary fermenters, combined. I noted that the flavor was very sweet initially but became drier over time. I entered two bottles in the Oregon Brew Crew competition as a joke -- and I can't believe it took first place! I might brew it again, but maybe as an "Irish Code Red," substituting the crystal malt with Melanoidin?

:)

Hey there Joe. Nice to See ya. This is Ed Tynan. I see you found the thread I was talking about at the meeting!!!! I come to this forum alot.

Also you should join my Portland Homebrewers Group. Lance with the E-Wreck-Tor set just joined up. http://groups.myspace.com/PortlandOregonHomebrewers

Back