St patricks day is only 40days away

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJstout

Reaction score
dont forget to brew a drystout within the next couple weeks to be read for st patricks day

Ingredients for mine will be here Tuesday. Basically a Guinness draught clone with some crystal added in.

7# pale malt
1# C90
1# flaked barley
1# roast

I happen to brew an Irish red to try it, not having brewed one before. That was last week, only afterward did i realize my fortuitous timing.

Just over 5 weeks, right? If I can brew one night this week, do you think this is enough time to be drinkable but St. Pats? I need to bottle condition (new brewer, no draft equipment yet :))... So, about 2 weeks in primary and 3 in the bottles.

Whatdaya guys think?

wailingguitar said:
Ingredients for mine will be here Tuesday. Basically a Guinness draught clone with some crystal added in.

7# pale malt
1# C90
1# flaked barley
1# roast

I brewed this same beer over the weekend. Bubbling away in my closet as we speak. The last couple times I made it, it turned out excellent. Even the swmbo likes it. Cheers!

Just over 5 weeks, right? If I can brew one night this week, do you think this is enough time to be drinkable but St. Pats? I need to bottle condition (new brewer, no draft equipment yet :))... So, about 2 weeks in primary and 3 in the bottles.

Whatdaya guys think?

As long as its a fairly low gravity beer with some healthy yeast, you'll be pretty close. I'd age them a little warmer than 70 if I was you.

Whatdaya guys think?

For a low gravity beer like that, I'd think it was plenty of time. With kegging, I wouldn't hesitate to brew a low gravity English/Irish beer two weeks before consumption. Depending on the beer and yeast strain, I could even argue a week to ten days. Those low gravity British ales are meant to be turned around quickly and consumed young.

I saw a feature on some small Irish brewery on TV a few years ago, and they said they were "grain to glass" in 14 days. On another show, I saw that Boddington's goes from yeast pitch to cask in 3 days. Now, bear in mind that those are professional breweries.

I know most of the HBT forum favors a 3 week primary, but I'd personally say that's extremely excessive for a low gravity beer using most British yeast strains.

As for bottling, I've not done it in a LONG time. However, you don't want high carbonation with this style anyway, so you would add a reduced amount of sugar. I'd think three weeks would work fine.

-Brew a traditional gravity stout (in the low to mid 1.040s)
-Use a high floccing British strain
-Make a starter to ensure a healthy pitch or repitch from a previous batch
-Aerate well
-The bulk of fermentation should be done in 3-4 days.
-After terminal gravity is reached, allow a few extra days in primary for yeast to clean up and clear - perhaps raise the temp a few degrees to help
-Cold crash (if possible)
-Transfer and/or bottle

Love that beer, do you mind sharing your recipe? I had a buddy make up what I hope is a similar beer, thinking about brewing it tonight.

Got this from Boulevard:

Irish Ale

Pale Malt 79.9%
Munich 2.8%
Amber 2.8%
Cara 120 9.1%
Cara 300 3.5%
Chocolate Premilled in Lauter during sparge 1.8%

We mash at 65 C and rest for 50 minutes before heating up to 73 C for 15 minutes. We mash off at 75 C.

Hops
Magnum 5.2 IBU at 98 C
CTZ 5.5 IBU at 10 after beginning of boil
Bravo 6.1 IBU at 10 after beginning of boil
Sterling 12.2 IBU at 5 minutes before end of boil
Saaz 1.0 IBU in whirlpool

We look for an end of boil gravity of 13.5. We cool the wort to 19C and pitch with our house English Ale strain fermenting at 19 C until we reach 6.5 Plato at which point we temp up to 23 C for the remainder of fermentation. Finishing plato should be 3.0 Plato.

Back